High CPU on Win10 (1803) guest on Ubuntu 16.04

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BerlinUser

High CPU on Win10 (1803) guest on Ubuntu 16.04

Post by BerlinUser »

[ModEdit: Post split from High CPU using Windows 10 Version 1803 as host and guest]
Dear all

For quite a while I have many problems with the performance of my VB. The subject of the thread is not matching my case exactly, as I have Ubuntu 16.04 as the host and Windows 10 (32 bit) as the guest. I have read many recommendations here and tried the chipset thing, but it did not help.

I attach a screenshot and I would be really glad if anyone had an idea how to make this a working virtual OS :(

Best regards
Attachments
VBhighcpu2.jpg
VBhighcpu2.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
high cpu usage
high cpu usage
VBhighcpu1.jpg (99.67 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jun 2019, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posts split from another thread.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: High CPU on Win10 (1803) guest on Ubuntu 16.04

Post by socratis »

BerlinUser wrote:The subject of the thread is not matching my case exactly
...and that's why I split it. Please read Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose the title carefully.

I see every single process "suffering" from both CPU and I/O. My initial guess is a weak host. But in order to confirm/refute that, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BerlinUser

Post by BerlinUser »

Thanks very much. Here comes the zip file. I am excited if this is helpful.
Attachments
win10-32-2019-06-08-23-12-40.zip
(26.92 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745 linux.x86 (Mar  8 2019 18:20:35) release log
It looks like you're using the Ubuntu fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums/channels for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
00:00:00.880001   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.2.12 r122591; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
The Extension Pack (ExtPack) has to match the VirtualBox version.
00:00:01.027269   CpuExecutionCap   <integer> = 0x0000000000000028 (40)
And you're wondering why it's slow? You only gave it 40% of the CPU, did you expect that it would fly?
00:00:01.027276   NumCPUs           <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
00:00:01.497921 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?".
00:00:02.021504 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. 2D/3D acceleration is disabled. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. You'll also notice that the max VRAM will jump from a max value of 128 to 256 MB after that; max the VRAM as well. Then re-install the Guest Additions (GAs) in the guest.
00:00:01.509685 AIOMgr:     /home/name/VirtualBox VMs/win10-32/Snapshots/{07f41e29-5393-4bc9-b647-223ba55111cd}.vhd
00:00:01.509727 AIOMgr:     /media/name/datenfuerlinux/win10-32.vhd
  1. Why ".vhd" and not the default ".vdi"?
  2. Are you running the VM from an external hard drive?
  3. "name"? Seriously? Please read my signature and don't ever try to obfuscate the data again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BerlinUser

Post by BerlinUser »

Dear socratis

Thanks for your detailed answer.

I will give it a try and get a not-Ubuntu-version. But for me as a normal user it is always great. Developers from a company will say, you have to get our version. Distro developers will say there version. What ya gonna do as a normal user? ;) Still, I don't think that this explains why Windows internally uses 100% CPU, while the single processes do not add up to 100%.

About the execution cap. I reduced that as the guest takes every bit of CPU it gets. If I don't do this, it even freezes my host system. About the cores: What should I do in the VB settings? Because many people write on the Internet about VirtualBox that a Win 10 inside should get at least 2. But perhaps I do not understand how use one physical CPU and assign multiple virtual ones. How can that be done? Or what else should be done?

Can you explain that with 2d/3d/vram a little bit? I thought this would be better because acceleration would need more resources. And what do you mean by maxing the vram?

Why vhd: I can't remember. External hard drive: I have two internal drives. It is now on the bigger hard drive, as my SSD is too limited.
What is the problem with replacing the username? Just out of curiosity.

Best regards
BerlinUser

Post by BerlinUser »

PS: Perhaps I do not understand this right, but can it be that https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads only lists 64 bit packages? I use a 32 bit host OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BerlinUser wrote:About the cores: What should I do in the VB settings? Because many people write on the Internet about VirtualBox that a Win 10 inside should get at least 2
Your basic question is simple: Win10 *is* using a lot of CPU, even on real systems. That's a fact. And I've already told you to look inside your guest why it needs all that CPU and I/O. My real Win10 installation sometimes takes many hours to settle down.

If you don't have enough cores, you can't give your guest cores just because it's a "good idea" from some random dude on the webs. I think that I told you to reduce the CPUs for your guest to 1. You can't be having a Yugo and expect it to run on a Formula1 race... ;)
BerlinUser wrote:Developers from a company will say, you have to get our version. Distro developers will say there version. What ya gonna do as a normal user?
Which VirtualBox version? Your distro's or the official one? You choose. But whatever you choose, that's where you should be looking for support.
BerlinUser wrote:can it be that https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads only lists 64 bit packages? I use a 32 bit host OS.
32-bit host? There's no VirtualBox > 6.0.0 for you, sorry. Only 64-bit hosts are supported.