Beware: macOS 10.14.5 kernel panic with 6.0.8 or 6.0.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tbenr

Re: Beware: macOS 10.14.5 kernel panic with 6.0.8 or 6.0.4

Post by tbenr »

@socratic it was a copy\paste of a part of the MacOS crash report window, i sow there where \n \t but i thought it was useful anyway.
i removed the haxm extension (it is included in android sdk). It was installed there since a lot without giving me such issues, I'll let you know it I still have the issue...

thanks for the response.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Try to upgrade Intel HAXM if you really, really need it. I seem to recall that 7.3.2 had real issues that were resolved with later versions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tbenr

Post by tbenr »

it still crashes, even without HAXM kext.
Attachments
panic-full-2019-06-07-073250.201.ips.zip
(39.4 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Re-install OSX from the recovery partition.

BTW, I'm not sure what to do wit that IPS file that you sent. What generated that file? It looks like a crash report, but one that's been through the meat grinder...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
don.key

Post by don.key »

Same issue here:

OSX kernel panics when using Windows 8 and / or OpenIndiana guests. Sometimes crash happens immediately on launch, sometimes a bit later during usage. No clear pattern can be established.

I have none of the mentioned offending kext's, report is attached.
Attachments
panic_log.txt.zip
(3.92 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Rodster

Post by Rodster »

Hi, since installing VirtualBox/VB v6.0.8 (for 1st time) running WinBlow's 10 (sorry) on macOS 10.14.5 in a 13" 2018 MBP; I keep getting Kernal Panics causing System restarts, even without the guest OS running (in fact, not while it is, yet) just with VB open.
My guess is this is something to do with the Kernal extension VB needs to be allowed, for a successful install, possibly in combo with 10.14.5 (security updates within?) and/or my Mac's T2 security chip? As macOS is sandboxed, thus only a kernel extension (driver/.kext) should bring the host OS down (otherwise just a specific program crash should occur).
Interesting there's nothing documented (that I found) regarding VB requiring the system extension be allowed, indicating maybe that VB hasn't been tested with 10.14.5 yet (& its enhanced security, potentially due to well documented intel exploits). Maybe unscrupulous people have being using similar VM's to gain access to Mac's hardware once booted..?
Thus wonder if uninstall correctly removes this K.ext, hence crashes still occurring after doing so, until a System restore (i.e without .kext) is competed..?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Rodster wrote:My guess is this is something to do with the Kernal extension VB needs to be allowed, for a successful install, possibly in combo with 10.14.5 (security updates within?) and/or my Mac's T2 security chip? As macOS is sandboxed, thus only a kernel extension (driver/.kext) should bring the host OS down (otherwise just a specific program crash should occur).
Interesting there's nothing documented (that I found) regarding VB requiring the system extension be allowed, indicating maybe that VB hasn't been tested with 10.14.5 yet (& its enhanced security, potentially due to well documented intel exploits).
There are plenty of people (me included) that run VirtualBox 6.0.8 on macOS 10.14.5 without any problems. My 2017 iMac 5K for one! Whilst there have been several reports of people seeing a crash, we haven't yet (I don't believe) found the common denominator that would allow us to identify the cause.

The devs are continually working on VirtualBox. Have you tried the latest test builds to see if that changes the situation?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Rodster

Post by Rodster »

Well, as my systems pretty (if not entirely) vanilla, I'd assume its Mac model specific, hence mention the T2 (finger print) Security chip my Mac has, and yours doesn't. BTW, a simple uninstall has resolved crashes, which only ever happened when I'd left the computer for a while (less & more than display's sleep time). After which I'd usually have to use the T2 finger print reader to unlock..