[Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Erik Humphrey
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various Linux distros, Windows 10

[Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by Erik Humphrey »

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine AedoSandbox.

Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I am also having this error when attempting to start a virtual machine on Windows 10 Version 1903, and cannot downgrade the OS. Though VirtualBox hasn't yet been updated to resolve the issue, I'm trying to deal with it in the meantime. I think I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in other threads. Thanks for your efforts, socratis. See attached for a complete VBox.log:
AedoSandbox-2019-06-06-11-32-36.log
Complete VBox.log
(36.69 KiB) Downloaded 3048 times
Last edited by Erik Humphrey on 7. Jun 2019, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by mpack »

You have Hyper-v enabled, and it's an insider build of Win10 - meaning VirtualBox isn't designed to be compatible.

Even if it was compatible, VirtualBox will run better if all Hyper-v related features are disabled.
Erik Humphrey

Re: Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by Erik Humphrey »

I believe Version 1903 has been released to the masses; I've never used any Insider builds (hence the post not being in the pre-release forum). But it's understandable that VirtualBox isn't yet compatible, as it's only been out for a few weeks.

I don't have Hyper-V enabled in "Turn Windows features on or off". Are there any other places or registries that I can check to see if it's enabled elsewhere?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active (the list keeps getting bigger by the day):
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
If that doesn't work, enter the following command:
  • 
    bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
followed by a cold boot, i.e. shut down the computer, pull the power plug for 10", reboot.

The VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED has been observed since 1903 was a pre-release, see the really busy VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED with Win10 10.0.18362 (#18536) and ticket #18536. The problem with that error is that it's not universal, we got to find what's triggering it...

See also the thread VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V, several reports with the same error, I even thought of merging your thread...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rd91

Win 10 1903 ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED)

Post by rd91 »

Google search results led me here, this may help someone else (may not work for all configurations).

Error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu-server.
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Solution:

Windows Features
----------------------
Disabled -> Hyper-V
Enabled  -> Virtual Machine Platform
Enabled  -> Windows Hypervisor Platform
Disabled -> Windows Sandbox

Elevated Powershell/Cmd
-------------------------------

BIOS
-----
Enabled  -> Virtualization Technology (VTx)
Enabled  -> Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VTd)
Disabled -> HP Hypervisor

Windows specifications
----------------------------
Edition     Windows 10 Pro
Version     1903
OS build    18362.116
Other Windows Features (Possibly irrelevant, can view img*)

i[.]imgur[.]com/NgDGQvW.png
*Forum won't let me post images due to account age
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win 10 1903 ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED)

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW, images can be posted with the Upload Attachment tab. PNGs are best.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rd91 wrote:Google search results led me here
And a local search in the forums wouldn't hurt either... ;)

Thank you for posting the solution, but as you can see in the thread that I merged your posts, it's already proposed as a solution. Again thank you nonetheless...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Erik Humphrey

Post by Erik Humphrey »

Thanks for not merging the thread about my totally-unique-to-me problem, as the sticky said to not hijack threads.

Following rd91's post somehow solved the issue for me, even though I had already completed almost all the steps. Some of this information wasn't in other threads.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by socratis »

Erik Humphrey wrote:about my totally-unique-to-me problem
Excuse me, but what unique problem are you referring to? I already linked you to almost 90-posts threads. That's not unique, that's massive ;)
Erik Humphrey wrote:as the sticky said to not hijack threads
With unrelated issues. If the issue is the same, not only it isn't a hijack, but similar threads will get merged, like with the thread from 'rd91'.
Erik Humphrey wrote:even though I had already completed almost all the steps
Maybe you hadn't completed them all the ones that I gave you?
Erik Humphrey wrote:Some of this information wasn't in other threads.
I believe that the list that I gave you is the latest and the greatest, as it includes the "Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)", something that's not officially out. And the list from 'rd91' was definitely smaller...

Glad you got it going. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)
r4226

Post by r4226 »

Thank you such much!!! The below Windows 10 v1903 configuration posted by rd91 works great!! I kept getting the HyperV error when trying to use Virtual Box, I didn't know if it was the 1903 update or the fact that I turned on WSL for the first time or both but now it works perfectly again. Follow the below exactly and VirtualBox will start working again!! :D
rd91 wrote:

Windows Features
----------------------
Disabled -> Hyper-V
Enabled  -> Virtual Machine Platform
Enabled  -> Windows Hypervisor Platform
Disabled -> Windows Sandbox

Elevated Powershell/Cmd

BIOS
-----
Enabled  -> Virtualization Technology (VTx)
Enabled  -> Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VTd)
Disabled -> HP Hypervisor

Windows specifications
----------------------------
Edition     Windows 10 Pro
Version     1903
OS build    18362.116
irak

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by irak »

It works thanks version 1903 build 18917
gordonplay

Post by gordonplay »

Thanks for your solution. For me, the most important information is:

Elevated Powershell/Cmd
My case is, everything are work before update to 1903.

Try to disable the Hyper-V as most search results in Google but not work. Until I follow your solution and it work again.

After that, re-enable back the Hyper-V on Windows Features, and the VM work without issue. So I think, for my case, the above command save my life.

Thanks again.

Gordon
danebalia

Post by danebalia »

Had the same thing happen on my Insider build of 18362 when I installed Windows Terminal.
The aforementioned instructions work perfectly. :D

Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

danebalia wrote:Windows Terminal
What's that? A new "toy"? Any more details?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:What's that? A new "toy"? Any more details?
It is Microsoft re-inventing the wheel (again)! See here

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.