usb filter - works for 6.0.4, fails for 6.0.6 and 6.0.8

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
hcubed

usb filter - works for 6.0.4, fails for 6.0.6 and 6.0.8

Post by hcubed »

I have a device, Ross-Tech Hex-Net, that is a OBDII device used for diagnosing VW and Audi (and others in the VAG family). My USB filter for this is simply the vendor id (0x0483). The reason for the coarseness of this filter is that the device first will appear as a HID device. If firmware on the device needs updating, the vendor software, VCDS, will expose the on-device flash device as a storage device. Having the filter set to capture at the vendor id allows the Windows guest to mount the flash device and do the update.

This all works in 6.0.4. Starting in 6.0.6, the expected behavior is broken. When the guest mounts the flash device, it will hang and the host (MacOS) then mounts the device. The guest hang can only be cleared by killing off the VM.

Looks like a bug.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: usb filter - works for 6.0.4, fails for 6.0.6 and 6.0.8

Post by socratis »

hcubed wrote:Looks like a bug.
I think you're right, looks like https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18593. Can you try the latest Test Builds and/or the latest Development Builds from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds? They contain several USB fixes...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hcubed

Re: usb filter - works for 6.0.4, fails for 6.0.6 and 6.0.8

Post by hcubed »

@socratis,

I can only try it if the device needs a firmware update which I can't really control :-( I will keep following this specific issue to see which release it makes it into, install that and see what happens.