[Solved] Install 6.0.8 failure: The error code is 2755

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Automagician

[Solved] Install 6.0.8 failure: The error code is 2755

Post by Automagician »

(mod note: Virtualbox's installer fails if the %temp% folder is changed from the Windows default.)

Hi,

I can't update or install VirtualBox 6.0.6 or 6.0.8

I first saw this when trying to install 6.0.6 a couple of days ago but the issue remains with 6.0.8.
Additionally, I have encountered this on two separate computers, one at home and one at work.
Both are WIN 10 64-bit with the latest/current updates.

What happens is that the installer starts and after making the initial selections and having pressed clicked "Yes"
on the prompt "Proceed with installation now?" things start to go wrong.
This is not necessarily a VirtualBox issue but I am grasping at straws here.

I have summoned whatever little piece of google-fu I have available trying to figure out what is wrong.
Most items found point to a Windows Installer problem but none of the suggested remedies seem to do the trick.
I vaguely remeber someone here reporting a similar issue with version 5.x.x or something...what solved his problem won't solve mine or so it seems.
Anyway, I would be very greatful for any pointers in useful directions, ideas or suggestions.

This is what it looks like:
Error-1.jpg
Error-1.jpg (18.75 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
clicking "Retry" doesn't really seem to help. Clicking "Cancel"
makes this pop up
Error-3.jpg[/attachment and finally [attachment=0]Error-2.jpg
Attachments
Error-3.jpg
Error-3.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Error-2.jpg
Error-2.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Last edited by scottgus1 on 3. Oct 2020, 00:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved]. (added mod note)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Install 6.0.8 failure: The error code is 2755

Post by mpack »

If you got this same error with 6.0.6 then the dialog message is wrong: the problem is on your host, not with the package.

If 6.0.6 had his problem for everyone then we'd know it by now.
Automagician

Post by Automagician »

I sort of feared this being a machine/host issue rather than a packaging/installer issue.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the input. Even if there's a likely re-install waiting.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Trying uninstalling the old version before installing the new one. I suspect your problem is caused because it can't find the uninstaller for the previous version, most often because it was installed from removable media which is no longer present.

Or something has been "cleaning" the registry and messed things up in there.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

I too had the same issue. I am in the local administrators group. I took the 'This may indicate a problem with this package' error and decided to re-download.

I re-downloaded a second time using the same browser, same issue.

I downloaded using a different browser, same issue.

I UNinstalled the old version. Tried to install. Same issue.

I RIGHT clicked it, install as administrator, same issue.

I SHIFT RIGHT clicked and choose run as different user and supplied the actual local administrators username and password ( for domain users it would be : .\administrator ) and it installed. Seems to be a security issue.

EDIT: Installed to my second PC, it too was on the same domain. However it installed fine as me using the SAME personal AD account as I tried on the other computer. I realized that my first PC was not on the domains LAN at the time, so my guess is that it could not verify credentials? This second PC WAS on the AD LAN.

EDIT2: An installation on a NON domain PC went fine. It indeed appears to be checking for active credentials, cached credentials may not be enough. While not actively on the same LAN/WAN as your domain use the SHIFT-RIGHT click and RUN AS DIFFERENT USER and supply the local administrators name and password. If you don''t have this then you are likely not able to finish installation.
bouks
Guest OSses: Debian, Ubuntu

Post by bouks »

Same issue since 6.0.6.

I tried your solution and now i'm on a really bad situation since i uninstall 6.0.4 and 6.0.4 won't reinstall with the same bug.

That really sucks.

EDIT:
I found the solution.

"SOLVED: MSI somehow didn't like my TEMP not being in C: for only this installation....
So change TEMP environment variable to "C:\temp" install. Then back!"

Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92774
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bouks wrote:"SOLVED: MSI somehow didn't like my TEMP not being in C: for only this installation....
Why do people change their basic system key variables, and then things start to fall is beyond my level of understanding...

Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bouks

Re: [Solved] Install 6.0.8 failure: The error code is 2755

Post by bouks »

@Socratis

To put "temp" folder on a ramdisk...

"and then things start to fall"
I never had any problem since decades...
Automagician

Post by Automagician »

socratis wrote:
bouks wrote:"SOLVED: MSI somehow didn't like my TEMP not being in C: for only this installation....
Why do people change their basic system key variables, and then things start to fall is beyond my level of understanding...

Marking as [Solved].
This is a quite simple thing, really.
I've used and use a ram drive for tempfiles for at least two reasons.
1. Performance, as I at home still have real spinning disks inside it. Ram is whole lot faster.
2. Security, because tempfiles magically disappear on powerdown. What doesn't exist on restart can't be examined
3. Even with SSD it is a spacesaver. Don't want to fill up the disk with...as above.

You do know there are settings for a reason? At least I thought so. Why a default if no software cares or respect the set path?
Lot's of other installers and whathaveyou programs works just fine with tmp and temp on a ram drive.
I do think that it is the installer that is borked in some way. I might be wrong, have been so before but ...
Automagician

Post by Automagician »

So change TEMP environment variable to "C:\temp" install. Then back!"

Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92774
Thanks for the tip.

Worked like a charm on the computer at home.
However at work it still fails but now with a 2203 which supposedly is an access rights related issue.
More, attempts at problem solving awaits.
bouks

Post by bouks »

Automagician wrote:I do think that it is the installer that is borked in some way. I might be wrong, have been so before but ...
That's what i thought. But, in this case, the 6.0.4 would install again...
Automagician

Post by Automagician »

This issue generates a rather large reading on the "weird-shit-o-meter".

Of course it might just be me and my unruly fingers but...
Me:
Worked like a charm on the computer at home.
However at work it still fails but now with a 2203 which supposedly is an access rights related issue.
More, attempts at problem solving awaits.
Having set all temp/tmp and whathaveyou back to system defaults I got the 2203 error.
I then tried moving the temp dirs around a bit-on disc-and still got the new 2203 error.

I then sort of gave up, reverted to my previous tempfiles on ram drive setup and rebooted.
Out of sheer frustration I tried running the 6.0.8 installation file again. Lo and behold very much to surprise the install now runs the full course to completion?
One reboot later and 6.0.8 is up and running. Weird.

Just in case someone has experienced similar installation issues with other software this back and forth with temp file location also fixed installation issues with software from Serif namely Affinity Photo and Designer.
Again plain weird.

Thanks a lot to everyone who participated. :)
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

If I remember correctly changes to the system environment variables only get activated on boot.
Automagician

Post by Automagician »

Martin wrote:If I remember correctly changes to the system environment variables only get activated on boot.
I vaguely remember environment variables being changed for each new "shell instance" i.e new instance of CMD.exe or PowerShell picks up changes.
But, I might have it wrong there...might be prudent to do some empirical stuff later today.
Joshuar1

Post by Joshuar1 »

Well, keep in mind you can fix this by use --path var before clicking .exe
much more efficient than changing TEMP Var

open your CMD in Admin mode, walk to your Downloadlocation by cd comand and use this:

VirtualBox-6.0.8-130520-Win.exe --path "C:\Users\Josh\Downloads\VirtualBox-6.0.8-130520-Win"

and think first before coping, pasting whole line and hiting enter :-)