[Resolved] Copy and Paste not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sy
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

[Resolved] Copy and Paste not working

Post by Sy »

In the General > Advanced section I have "Shared Clipboard" set to "Bidirectional" and also "Drag'n'Drop" also set to "Bidirectional", these settings don't seem to work reliably and most of the time not at all.

My host system is:

Code: Select all

macOS Mojave, Version 10.14.5
        iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
        Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
        Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
        Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB
The Virtual Machine is:

Code: Select all

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu 
        DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
        DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
        DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS"
Last edited by socratis on 3. Jun 2019, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
Kind Regards,
Sy
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy and Paste not working

Post by mpack »

What are you trying to copy and paste?
Sy

Post by Sy »

Text from a header or source file. Not a huge amount either, often trying to create entries for stack overflow, but can't grab the source material.
Kind Regards,
Sy
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sy

Post by Sy »

Please find attached log, I just selected copy from the Qt Creator menu and tried to paste it into TextMate editor on my mac, nothing...attached is the log.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(31.25 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Kind Regards,
Sy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There must be something wrong with the way that I formatted my request...
socratis wrote:Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state)
00:00:05.668491 Changing the VM state from 'RESUMING' to 'RUNNING'
I can't see whether you have the GAs installed or not if you resume the VM... :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sy

Post by Sy »

Ok, this time from a cold boot, attached is log. I did notice something this time, firstly I opened a terminal then executed "ls -l", I copied the entire content of the window and this pasted into TextMate perfectly. I then launched "Qt Creator" and copied the content of a very small text file, when I went back to TextMate to paste the result, I got the same content from the first copy, the file list, not the copy I was expecting.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(31.2 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Kind Regards,
Sy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.107007 VirtualBox VM 6.0.8 r130520 darwin.amd64 (May 13 2019 15:40:24) release log
00:00:14.169535 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.8 r130520 '6.0.8'
Much better, thank you.
Sy wrote: I then launched "Qt Creator" and copied the content of a very small text file, when I went back to TextMate to paste the result, I got the same content from the first copy, the file list, not the copy I was expecting.
Then it's the Qt Creator that's not copying the text as a simple text, it's quite clear. Copy it from Qt Creator, paste it in gedit, copy it from gedit paste it in TextMate.That's the best workaround at the moment.
Sy

Post by Sy »

Thank you, works like a charm!
Kind Regards,
Sy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Resolved].