[WorksForMe] Bluetooth audio cuts out when booting VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
giddyup

[WorksForMe] Bluetooth audio cuts out when booting VM

Post by giddyup »

Hi everyone,

Whenever I fire up a virtual machine, audio cuts out (as if I pressed mute) on the bluetooth devices connected to the host. It takes about 5-10 seconds, and then the audio comes back.

Some info:
  • During those "muting" seconds, bluetooth is apparently working normally on host. It's still enabled and connected to all my devices.
  • My bluetooth mouse doesn't suffer any issues and works unaffectedly.
  • Only audio bluetooth devices are affected (headset, speakers, etc).
  • Audio via analog jack is also unaffected.
  • Bluetooth in this system is provided by a USB dongle.
  • The audio cut-out happens near the end of the boot process, when screen already fills the window, a few seconds before the graphic interface showing up.
  • Disabling audio on Virtualbox settings for the guest fixes the issue.
  • Removing guest additions doesn't have any effect.
  • Switching the VM USB between 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 also doesn't have any effect.
  • I only tested Linux guests. This issue happens to all of them, even booting directly from an untouched ISO. Some systems I've tested: Manjaro, Arch, Ubuntu 19.04 and 18.04.
VirtualBox: 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5 6.2)
Extension Pack: 6.0.8 r130520
Host: Windows 10 1809

I appreciate your help.
Last edited by socratis on 30. May 2019, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bluetooth audio cuts out when booting VM

Post by socratis »

giddyup wrote:Bluetooth in this system is provided by a USB dongle.
That's a potential suspect for me. Can you launch a VM, even from an ISO, but with USB disabled in its settings? You'll need to set the pointing device to "PS/2 Mouse" instead of "USB Tablet" or it won't work.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
giddyup

Post by giddyup »

Thanks for the reply, socratis.

I booted Ubuntu 19.04 ISO with USB disabled and the issue is still there.

For now, only disabling audio (or switching the controller to Soundblaster 16) fixes it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you still have the log from that Ubuntu test, I'm going to need it:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
giddyup

Post by giddyup »

Here it is.
Last edited by giddyup on 30. May 2019, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:09.009218 VirtualBox VM 6.0.8 r130520 win.amd64 (May 13 2019 14:14:44) release log
That's the first line of the log. And that is most certainly weird! It takes 9" for the VM to get started. Mine for example start at around the 1" mark. Do you have any 3rd party antivirus installed?
giddyup

Post by giddyup »

That's probably the select ISO dialog.

The VM was brand new, accepting all defaults, except for disabling USB. It was first time I ran it, so it had to ask me which image to boot.
I run it for a second time and the value at first line is 00:00:01.949946.

No, I don't use anti-virus.
giddyup

Post by giddyup »

The issue happens at this moment:

Code: Select all

00:00:58.511125 Audio: Enabling input for driver 'DSoundAudio'
giddyup

Post by giddyup »

Some new findings:

1) The issue is related to the microphone (headset mode) of the bluetooth devices.
I now disabled their microphone on Windows Sound Control Panel and it is fixed.

2) I just noticed that I'm experiencing a similar bug on software that record audio input (Audacity, OBS Studio). So I'm not considering it a Virtualbox specific problem.
Feel free to close this thread.

Thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for letting us know. Marking as [WorksForMe].
rrlagic

Re: [WorksForMe] Bluetooth audio cuts out when booting VM

Post by rrlagic »

Hello!
My 2c into the topic.
I have Win10 x64 host, WinXP x32 guest.
Host is playing audio to bluetooth headphones. When I start VM, on it's boot sound cracks few times and then disappears, though volume controls show sound is still there. One more observation, VM startup causes headphones jump from from headset (phones only) to handsfree (phones+mic) profile. I clearly hear that, because in handsfree profile microphone picks up keyboard typing rattle and mix into phones sound. Disabling audio input, output did not help, the only cure to completely disable audio in guest settings.

Bluetooth module is notebook integrated one, but seems it also links through USB, in device manager I device instance path USB\VID_8087&PID_0A2B. I'm curious, is there a way to prevent guest from toughing this USB device. Thanks