Linux guest kernel panic on shutdown after installing additions 6.0.6 (#18667)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Darius123
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7 Pro, MacOS, Linux*

Linux guest kernel panic on shutdown after installing additions 6.0.6 (#18667)

Post by Darius123 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18667: Kernel panic in Debian 9 guest at shut down when shared folders are enabled
I have upgraded VBox to 6.0.6 as well as additions in my guest Linux Debian system. Everything works but every time I shutdown guests it hangs with kernel panic - see attached screenshot. When I restore guest from my backup (with previous 6.0.4 additons) it works without any issues.
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 16.28.51.jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
Looks like something is not right with latest additions.
Last edited by socratis on 28. May 2019, 01:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux guest kernel panic on shutdown after installing additions 6.0.6

Post by socratis »

We're going to need details, way more details. Can't go on with "Linux Debian, kernel panic, shutdown". Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

Sure.

I removed additions completely - without additions guests works fine - i can shut it down without any issues.

Then I installed 6.0.6 additions and problem returns - on shutdown i have kernel panic and I am forced to manually power off virtual machine (looks like it hangs) with screen showing info you can see in my previous post.

Please see attached captured logs.
Attachments
Debian Stretch 64bits-2019-04-22-16-51-17.log.zip
Log
(31.57 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

I was poking around and I think I identified what is causing the issue. Guest system halts with kernel panic on reboot/shutdown when run with additions 6.0.6 and with added shared folders. When I remove shared folders everything works perfectly.

Please note that it was not the case with additions 6.0.4 where everything worked as expected
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

To rule out any quirky issues with my debian installation I tried it with fresh install (standard 64bits latest debian stretch) - and it behaves exactly the same. Latest additions make system to panic on reboot/shutdown if shared folders are present.

Hopefully this will point you into right direction
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I can confirm this behaviour using my up-to-date Debian 9 guest on a macOS 10.14.3 host. I'll try one of the latest test builds of the GAs next to see if the devs have already found and fixed it. If not, I'll dig through the backtrace and see if I can see what is causing it.

Update: I have tried Guest Additions 6.0.7 r130061 and the problem persists.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

Thanks for checking. I am downgrading then to 6.0.4 because I noticed that panic at the shutdown causes sometimes disk data corruption - probably happens before all buffers are flushed to disks. Too risky to use it like that.
WildSAR

Post by WildSAR »

I, too, am seeing this exact problem. Guest Additions 6.0.6 with shared folders (not auto-mounted) on debian-stretch-netinst.
Since its reported this showed up between Guest Additions 6.0.4 and 6.0.6, has any looked at the source diffs to see if anything obvious jumps out?

From

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-6.0#v6

Shared folders: fixed duplicate folders after restoring a saved state (bug #18373)
Shared folders: fixed hangs inside guest (bug #18151)
Linux guests: shared folder performance and reliability improvements and missing features (bugs #17360, #819)

One of these might be the culprit.

FWIW: the only way I could find to shut it down from the VBoxManage is

Code: Select all

VBoxManage startvm <vm> --type emergencystop
But this right-hand-side of --type is not documented, so it might stop working in the future.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

The issue is not fixed in 6.0.8. Still exactly the same behaviour. The last working VBox additions are 6.0.4.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

Is there any ticket raised related to this issue we can track progress?
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

I have tried the latest build (VirtualBox-6.0.9-130662-OSX and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.9-130662) and the issue is not fixed.

As long as my Debian clients use 6.0.4 extensions everything works regardless of VirtualBox version.

After upgrading extensions to anything above 6.0.4 and in case I have shared folders Debian hangs on shutdown/reboot. With 6.0.9 there is no kernel panic message - just black screen with virtual machine in status running.

As I use Debian extensively for multiple of projects I would like this issue to be fix. Is there any ticket raised? I am happy to raise ticket myself but no point if it is already done.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

Ok there is ticket raised few days ago.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18667

but not owned by anybody yet.
jeansen
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: PC-BSD 8.0

Post by jeansen »

I've added my experience to the ticket. For me, Host and Guest are Debian (10 and 9).

But as it seems this problem only happens when there are shared folders present. Anyway, I installed GuestAdditions 6.0.4 and now all works as expected again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Linux guest kernel panic on shutdown after installing additions 6.0.6 (#18667)

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the updates, I added the ticket information in the first post/thread title. I'm also going to move this to the "Linux Guests" area from the "OSX Hosts" one, because it's the guest that has the problem, not the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Linux guest kernel panic on shutdown after installing additions 6.0.6 (#18667)

Post by socratis »

The developers have reproduced the issue, that's a GoodThing™. See comment #4 in ticket #18667 for more info.