Upgrade Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Kev1974

Upgrade Issues

Post by Kev1974 »

Hi,

I am a Mac user, running Mojave, and had VirtualBox version 5.2.8 running with no issues. I also had previous versions before 5.2.8 and had always seamlessly upgraded with no issues.

Today, I upgraded to 6.0.4 and when opening and starting the program, I am getting what appears to be a Windows terminal screen that does not allow me to access my virtual desktop/PC that was there previously. The screenshot of what I'm experiencing should be seen below.
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 6.12.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 6.12.03 PM.png (40.98 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
I'm at a loss and a I'm lost (lol), but have very important info on my Virtual Desktop that I need to access.

Can someone be so kind to assist me with this?

P.S. I'm not a PC/MAC genius, so if you could respond back to me in Virtual-Box-for-Mac-for Dummies-101 language, that would be great! lol

Thanks in advance for the assistance! :-)

~Kev1974
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Upgrade Issues

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kev1974

Post by Kev1974 »

Thanks Socratis!

The log is attached...

P.S. I also reinstalled/downgraded version 5.2.6 prior to pulling and providing this log.
Attachments
Kevin's Virtual Machine-2019-04-11-12-58-03.log.zip
(26.46 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Where did you get this VM from? This VM is not supposed to boot!!!
00:00:01.277027 Guest OS type: 'Windows7_64'
00:00:01.339994 [/Devices/efi/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:01.340038   ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
It's a Win7 guest, that has the ICH9 chipset, but most importantly it's set to boot using EFI. That's not going to work for a Win7 guest. Simply won't work. Win7 guests can't boot with EFI. From ch. 3.14 Alternative Firmware (EFI):
Note that the Oracle VM VirtualBox EFI support is experimental and will be enhanced as EFI matures and becomes more widespread. Mac OS X, Linux, and newer Windows guests are known to work fine. Windows 7 guests are unable to boot with the Oracle VM VirtualBox EFI implementation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kev1974

Post by Kev1974 »

I got it from the Virtual Box site.
Can you tell me what I need to do to get it to download properly?
Last edited by socratis on 18. May 2019, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kev1974 wrote:I got it from the Virtual Box site.
No, you didn't. There are no clients/guests/VMs in the VirtualBox site.
Kev1974 wrote:Can you tell me what I need to do to get it to download properly?
Download what exactly?
Kev1974

Post by Kev1974 »

You asked me to provide the VM info to you and I followed the previous instructions you gave me and provided it to you.Your instructions told me to go to the VirtualBox site to get the information and that's what I did previously. Then you indicated that I didnt get it from Virtual Box, although I did. So I'm now asking if you can provide me with an alternative way to provide you with the information you requested from me. Is there some other way to download what you are requesting? Where else can I get the client/guests/VMs info?
Last edited by socratis on 28. May 2019, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Socratis did ask you, where you got the VM from.
The virtual machine (VDI virtual disk and virtual machine guest definitions), not the VirtualBox installation.
The configuration of this guest is very non standard and it doesn't surprise us that you have problems running it that way.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kev1974 wrote:Your instructions told me to go to the VirtualBox site to get the information and that's what I did previously
Which instructions exactly? Where did I tell you to download anything?
Kev1974 wrote:Then you indicated that I didnt get it from Virtual Box, although I did.
I indicated what now???
Kev1974 wrote:Is there some other way to download what you are requesting?
I'm only requesting information, I don't want you to download anything. I'm simply asking where did you get this VM from, is that understood?
Kev1974

Post by Kev1974 »

Sorry for the confusion... I'm not a computer tech or a Geek Squad member, so you have to forgive me for my lack of knowledge and understanding...lol

(I called it a download, although that's not the technical term for how I retrieved the information you requested. #symanticsareobviouslycrucial - lol)

These are the instructions I followed that were given to me on 04/11/2019. I took the following steps and then provided you with the VBox.log I received.

From Socratis on 04/11/2019:
socratis wrote: "We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response."
Hopefully, I'm making a little more sense now... #learningcurve

I had used that Virtual Machine for over 2 years or so with no issues. I'm hoping and wishing you can tell me how to resolve it... :-)
Kev1974

Post by Kev1974 »

Martin wrote:Socratis did ask you, where you got the VM from.
The virtual machine (VDI virtual disk and virtual machine guest definitions), not the VirtualBox installation.
The configuration of this guest is very non standard and it doesn't surprise us that you have problems running it that way.
Thanks for your help as well Martin.. I'm really green when it comes to 'indepth, behind the scenes, computer talk" :lol: