Virtualbox (Versions: 5.2.8 - 6.0.6) Freezing/Restarting Host when Attempting to Start Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
efrese

Virtualbox (Versions: 5.2.8 - 6.0.6) Freezing/Restarting Host when Attempting to Start Guest

Post by efrese »

Host:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i5-4460 CPU
24 GB RAM

I recently acquired a Windows XP license, intending to use it to play old Windows 95/98 games. First, I attempted to use Hyper-V for this and found the results disappointing; so I downloaded/installed VirtualBox (6.0.6) per the recommendations of the internet.

Went through initial VM settings-setup fine, but the issues started when i went to Start the VM to install the OS. No matter what I did, my Host machine would freeze up and/or reboot every time VirtualBox attempted to Start the VM to install the OS. Went through a series of uninstalls/installs of various Builds of VirtualBox to see if I could get back to one that would launch the VM (6.0.6 > 6.0.0 > 5.2.28 > 5.2.26 > 5.2.0) which eventually I did with 5.2.0. With this Build I was able to Start the VM, install the OS, and then start installing games.

Once I verified VirtualBox handled games better than Hyper-V, I began working my way back up in the Builds, hoping to be able to work my way back to a more current, supportable Build. Unfortunately, the last Build I was able to successfully upgrade to was 5.2.6. The next Builds in the series of upgrades (5.2.8, 5.2.10, and 5.2.12) all exhibited the same Host-freezing/rebooting behavior that the initial installs had, when attempting to Start the VM -- though this time the OS was successfully installed already thanks to the older Builds, so I can rule out the OS-install portion as a factor now....

I can provide various settings screenshots if that would be helpful.
Manager.JPG
Manager.JPG (51.65 KiB) Viewed 624 times
Thank you,
Eric
efrese

Re: Virtualbox (Versions: 5.2.8 - 6.0.6) Freezing/Restarting Host when Attempting to Start Guest

Post by efrese »

Anybody have any ideas where I can start trying to figure this out?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtualbox (Versions: 5.2.8 - 6.0.6) Freezing/Restarting Host when Attempting to Start Guest

Post by andyp73 »

We are going to need to see some VBox.log files for the guest in question. Ideally one from the working version of VirtualBox and as much of one as is captured by a failing version. For ease of comparison use 5.2.30 as the failing version so we can discount any 6.0.x issues.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.