[Resolved] USB drive access problem with VV 5.2.28

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jorge43

[Resolved] USB drive access problem with VV 5.2.28

Post by Jorge43 »

windows XP running in VB 5.2.28 suddenly no longer stays hooked up to the USB drive. It hooks up and as soon as the drive is accessed it crashes the program accessing it and the drive disconnects from the VB
Last edited by socratis on 29. May 2019, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB drive access problem with VV 5.2.28

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Allways

Post by Allways »

I'm not the author of this item - but I suffered the same problem.
The the required Log is attached.
Fallback to 5.2.26 helped.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(27.79 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Allways wrote:I'm not the author of this item - but I suffered the same problem.
Then you should be describing the problem in full detail, what happens, what you see, error messages, etc. You can't just say a "me too", leave a log, and expect a proper analysis.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Allways

Post by Allways »

ok, so I reinstalled 5.2.28 ...
The USB-Device (Thumb-Drive)
  • appears in Explorer
  • as empty
  • without a label
  • selection gives the Format-Dialog
That's it
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Allways wrote:• selection gives the Format-Dialog
So, that means that the USB device is seen and recognized from the guest. It's simply that the guest needs to format it, because it doesn't understand the filesystem of the USB. What's the filesystem on the USB stick?
Allways

Post by Allways »

File system ... that was the right question!

exFAT - not intrinsic for Windows XP.

So I reinstalled KB955704 (exFAT for XP) and everything is fine now.

Thx for your help, thx for your attention, thx for your time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're welcome for the help, you're welcome for the attention, you're welcome for the time! :)

Glad you got it going, marking as [Resolved].