Cannot get past UEFI Shell installing MacOS Sierra

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
burobaaje

Cannot get past UEFI Shell installing MacOS Sierra

Post by burobaaje »

Trying to install MacOS Sierra on VB running on MacOS Mojave. Have tried every setting possible, but as soon as it starts it goes straight to UEFI Shell. I have read and tried going to Boot From File where I have read would be 2 entries. Nothing there most of time and if there is no help regardless of selection. Is it even possible to install a MacOS guest on a MacOS Host?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot get past UEFI Shell installing MacOS Sierra

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts" because the problem you're having is to install the guest.
burobaaje wrote:as soon as it starts it goes straight to UEFI Shell
That means that you don't have a bootable ISO. Where did you get the ISO from? How did you create it?
burobaaje wrote: Is it even possible to install a MacOS guest on a MacOS Host?
Absolutely. As long as your ducks are in a row... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
burobaaje

Post by burobaaje »

socratis wrote:That means that you don't have a bootable ISO. Where did you get the ISO from? How did you create it?
I have an installer for Sierra and used DiskUtilty to make cd and then terminal to create iso file from cd. I then loaded it into the setup and tried to start installation.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, that won't work. If by "I have an installer" you mean an app for the installation, please take a look at InstallerApp2ISO.app from "granada29". It's a GUI app that encapsulates the functionality of InstallerApp2ISO.sh to create a bootable ISO. Start with that and see where we get stuck next.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
burobaaje

Post by burobaaje »

socratis wrote:No, that won't work. please take a look at post from "granada29".
Will do and let you know. Thanks!
burobaaje

Post by burobaaje »

socratis wrote: Start with that and see where we get stuck next.
Could not install Sierra it hangs on attempt and the last thing on the console is:
MacBook-Air.local com.apple.spc.launchd[1] (come.apple.bsd.dirhelper.172) <Warning>: Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.bsd.dirhelper.
But the good news is that I created an iso for Yosemite and it installed and is useable. It does hang up if I try somethings, but I can live with that as I only need it to run Filemaker Pro 13 which I will try to install later. Thanks for the help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

burobaaje wrote:Could not install Sierra it hangs on attempt
Wait a minute... If it's greater than 10.12.4, then that's a known issue. See ticket #16644: Installation of clean OSX 10.12.4 fails.
burobaaje wrote:But the good news is that I created an iso for Yosemite
Great, glad you got something working for you...