Virtual Box 6.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chrisgauthier2019

Virtual Box 6.0

Post by chrisgauthier2019 »

I'm trying to install a ubuntu 18.0.4.2 vm on my windows host os.

I have hyper-v installed, but there are many features on hyper-v that make virtualbox a more attractive option for me -- especially the bi-directional clipboard which i could not figure out how to get working in hyperv.

I have this virtual box .exe installed.

VirtualBox-6.0.0-127566-Win

I can see all my 64bit VMS and when i click "storage" and select the iso I want (in this case 18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso) and then try starting it up.

The screen loads a splash screen and then sits there without progressing.

I do have hyper-v installed on the windows 10 host, and I've seen in these forums that that might cause some issues, but Im not 100% sure if that's the case and stopping the hyperv services from running seems like a tricky endeavour.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Chris
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box 6.0

Post by socratis »

chrisgauthier2019 wrote:I do have hyper-v installed on the windows 10 host, and I've seen in these forums that that might cause some issues
Yes, definitely. Take a look at the sticky post in this Windows Hosts area "VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V". If you want to run with native speed ou'll need to get rid several services. Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active:
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.