openSUSE 15.0 Guest Tools

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
andny

openSUSE 15.0 Guest Tools

Post by andny »

Hi,

openSUSE 15.0 Guest Tools is not working correct. As you can see on the screenshot its not fullscreen when I have guest tools installed.

I am using VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.0.6 r130049 (Qt5.6.1)
Attachments
20190503.jpg
20190503.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: openSUSE 15.0 Guest Tools

Post by socratis »

Before I forget:
  1. You don't have to show me your whole 1915x1049 desktop, you could have scaled down to something like 800x438, we'll get the idea... ;)
  2. Prefer PNG instead of JPG, no artifacts, better compression.
I would like to see the output of the Guest Additions installation, is there any failure?

Also, I need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andny

Post by andny »

Tried to add it as a png! Bug the file was to big as png so converted it to jpeg! I get your point with the 1915x1049 desktop though ;)

No error in guest tool installation but possible missing firmware though and no errors in opensuse vboxlog. Added a log when I install guest tools to so you can see that also.
Attachments
opensuse_log_20190506.zip
(30.76 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
andny

Post by andny »

Could I get any help with this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry, Socratis has been AWOL for the last few days. I'll attempt to help though I'm not a big Linux user.

I don't see any obvious errors in the log, e.g. the GAs are installed and sufficient graphics RAM is allocated. I don't like seeing reference to Vagrant: this site only supports stock installs.

If you think about it, VirtualBox is a hardware emulator. If there was a problem with the hardware then it should affect any OS you install. If you get different behaviour from a certain OS then I'd look to peculiarities of that OS. For instance, perhaps the guest OS is not expecting display changes, or has been configured not to expect them.

p.s. I don't see anywhere in the log where the switch to fullscreen mode was attempted. How are you doing the switch?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

One more point to add to what mpack said. When you're installing the GAs, I see this:
vagrant@linux /mnt/virtualbox $ sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run --nox11
Why no X11? Something's not right here, most probably Vagrant related...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andny

Post by andny »

The --nox11 is indeed vagrant related, but I have tried to do it without --nox11 as well and its the same behaviour then.

And yes its probably due to changes in openSUSE as its not on other distros.

I dont remeber if I ever put it in fullscreen mode, I think i resized the window only. But that should work aswell ... atleast its working on other distros (win, ubuntu, centos and older versions of opensuse)
andny

Post by andny »

Here is the box used if you want to look into it more

Code: Select all

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  config.vm.box = "thermocalc/opensuse_150"
  config.vm.box_version = "1.0"
end
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences, especially the networking part. It is not supported on these VirtualBox forums/channels, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Vagrant), then we can continue this discussion.