Copy strings from a text file and paste them into linux ubuntu 18.04.2 (server version)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
giannino1995

Copy strings from a text file and paste them into linux ubuntu 18.04.2 (server version)

Post by giannino1995 »

I installed Linux Ubuntu 18.04.2 on VirtualBox 6.0.6. I would like to copy strings from a text file to Linux Ubuntu 18.04.2. I would like to use ctrl + c and ctrl + v. I tried to install the 'guest additions' thinking that this option could be a solution to my problem but without success. Below is the problem. How can I copy strings from windows to Linux on VirtualBox?
Thank you
Error:
https://prnt.sc/nmurki
VBox.log
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/4Tb5JvQhgf/
VBoxHardening.log
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/RqRbc8VBdd/
VBox.log.1
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/fJyf8c2DF2/
Last edited by giannino1995 on 22. May 2019, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy strings from a text file and paste them into linux ubuntu 18.04.2 (server version)

Post by mpack »

Please provide logs locally, as zipped attachments - I have no wish to sign up to an Ubuntu account or provide an email address in order to get a searchable version of your log. Only the "VBox.log" is required.

p.s. The VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED error has been discussed many times.
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=VERR ... by+licence
Basically, you must eject the existing media before you can mount the GAs virtual CD.
giannino1995

Re: Copy strings from a text file and paste them into linux ubuntu 18.04.2 (server version)

Post by giannino1995 »

Thank you very much for your reply.
I had no .iso files inserted on ubuntu.
I removed everything and tried again to install the component using the code that I found on the page that you indicated to me. I haven't solved it.
I am attaching the file.
Attachments
Desktop.zip
(124.76 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I said before, only the "VBox.log" file is required. I don't need the two backup copies as well (.1 and .2). I do however need you to shut down the VM before grabbing the log: you can't copy currently open files of a running program, the file ends up truncated.
00:00:11.922987 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
This is not the VirtualBox 6.0.6 Guest Additions. These are GAs for the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox. These will need to be completely purged from the guest before you install the geniune GAs.

However... I can find no instance of this causing VERR_PDM_LOCKED errors.

Only Linux guest users have this problem, and I am not a Linux user. However the following discussion looks likely to be correct: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86939.
giannino1995

Post by giannino1995 »

I send you the requested file with VM turned off.
Now I understand what you wrote previously and I can answer correctly.
The error that appears to me is due to the presence of a .iso file in VirtualBox. This is very true. In fact I press 2 times on "Insert the image of the Guest Additions CD ...". I press 2 times because nothing happens after pressing once. I can delete everything and do it all over again but I need the exact installation procedure (installation procedure + codes to be used on linux).
Thanks
Attachments
Server Ubuntu 18.04 LTS-2019-05-10-22-17-34.zip
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

giannino1995 wrote:In fact I press 2 times on "Insert the image of the Guest Additions CD ...". I press 2 times because nothing happens after pressing once.
All that "Insert the Guest Additions CD" does is insert the CD. What happens next depends on how the guest OS is configured: if the guest is configured to auto-run new media then the installer may run. If the guest OS is not configured to allow auto-run then you must browse to the CD inside the guest and run the installer yourself. The GAs installation process is described in detail in the user manual.

I would expect that most modern OS's will not auto-run by default, as it's an invitation for malware.
giannino1995

Post by giannino1995 »

What you send me is too distracting, it's useless because it's too long to read. I followed this guide but I still can't use ctrl + c and ctrl + v:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... rver-host/
I would like to know if the GAs installed allow you to use ctrl + c and ctrl + v on the keyboard or if I can only use the commands from software such as PuTTY or OS prompts that host VirtualBox.
Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 19. May 2019, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

does your linux has a X server (or Wayland) running? As far as I know you need that in order copy-paste to work.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The question is misplaced anyway. Installing the GAs allows the copy/paste feature to work. Whether Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are the keystrokes to control those functions in a Linux OS - I have no idea.
giannino1995

Post by giannino1995 »

Whiskeyjack wrote:does your linux has a X server (or Wayland) running? As far as I know you need that in order copy-paste to work.
I can't answer, how can I check?
I installed ubuntu 18.04.2 (server version), only the operating system, 0 software!
giannino1995

Post by giannino1995 »

mpack wrote:The question is misplaced anyway. Installing the GAs allows the copy/paste feature to work. Whether Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are the keystrokes to control those functions in a Linux OS - I have no idea.
No idea?!?

The copy function takes place on windows and the function pastes on linux or vice versa.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

No idea. I am not a Linux user.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Is your Linux running with a graphical desktop? That is necessary for the guest additions to work (and therefore for the shared clipboard feature).
If your system is only running in text mode you cannot use a shared clipboard over the VirtualBox guest window.

When you use a ssh terminal like Putty on your Windows or another system to connect to your Linux guest then you can use the local clipboard directly.
giannino1995

Post by giannino1995 »

It is a pity that the GAs do not work on OS without a graphical interface.
Thanks for all
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The GAs may not work, but there's another way that could work without the GAs.
VBoxManage controlvm <uuid|vmname>
                     keyboardputscancode <hex> [<hex> ...]|
                     keyboardputstring <string1> [<string2> ...]|
                     keyboardputfile <filename>
That works on every VM, GAs or not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.