updating guest win10 drivers says latest driver installed.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

updating guest win10 drivers says latest driver installed.

Post by 503340 »

Running windows 10/1809 host and copied this host using disk2vhd from Sysinternals/Microsoft. Booted virtual vhd copy of windows 10 and it ran for for a while then failed with "driver power state failure". After a LOT of searching and trying different configurations including "attempting to update drivers" on the guest, it still failed every time but at different times. Finally went back to the host system (The one I copied using disk2vhd) and checked drivers, lo and behold the network driver updated. So I made a new copy of the host and that copy has been running for several days. IE The guest win10 running under vbox doesnt seem to recognize that a newer driver for the network is available, but the native host win10 does recognize that a newer driver is available and performs the update.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: updating guest win10 drivers says latest driver installed.

Post by socratis »

Your virtual machine has different "hardware" components than your previous physical host. In fact, if you have software components that look for the old hardware, you need to remove them.

You woulnd't expect to take a hard drive with an installation from computer A, stick it in computer B which has different hardware, and expect to still be looking for the hardware components of A, would you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.

Post by 503340 »

Of course not. I was simply trying to point out that the process of creating a VHD file includes all the actual drivers resident on the building system. So check that all drivers are up to date before building a VHD copy of a system you wish to run under vbox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

503340 wrote:So check that all drivers are up to date before building a VHD copy of a system you wish to run under vbox.
Which is still just as incorrect as it was a year ago. None of those drivers will be used in the VM, so it doesn't matter if they were updated or not.

A VM's "hardware" is determined by the VM settings, and there is not an infinity of choices. The VMs "hardware" is not in any way determined by the drivers that were previously active in the physical PC whose drive was imaged.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I would think that a better approach would be to delete the drivers and even the devices as well before running the disk2vhd program. That is the best way to avoid problems. They are just "dead wood" in the .vhd you create.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

BillG wrote:a better approach would be to delete the drivers and even the devices as well before running the disk2vhd program.
Very true. Get as clean a slate as possible.
scared user wrote:But I don't want to destroy my working system!
Clone the existing computer's hard drive to another hard drive. (for Windows hosts, Macrium Reflect Free is the cat's meow, and no I don't work for them) Boot the computer from the cloned drive, then delete devices and drivers, then Disk2VHD that cloned cleared drive.