[Solved] Problem building 6.0.8 from source

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
RicV
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Linux *.*, Win*

[Solved] Problem building 6.0.8 from source

Post by RicV »

I don't seem to be able to build 6.0.8, from the VirtualBox-6.0.8.tar.bz2 tarball.
I followed the same procedure as always, but I am getting this unresolved reference (the full build log is attached):

Code: Select all

The failing command:
	@g++               '-Wl,-rpath,/opt/VirtualBox' '-Wl,-rpath,/opt/VirtualBox'  -Wl,-z,noexecstack,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed -m64   -o /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstGuestControlSvc/tstGuestControlSvc /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstGuestControlSvc/dt/VBoxGuestControlSvc.o /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstGuestControlSvc/tstGuestControlSvc.o     /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxRT.so   /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxVMM.so   /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxRT.so   -lpthread   -lm   -lrt   -ldl 
kBuild: Linking tstGuestControlSvc
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxREM.so: [color=#FF0000][b]undefined reference to `HMR3CanExecuteGuest[/b][/color]'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
kmk: *** [/medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/kBuild/footer-pass2-compiling-targets.kmk:739: /medsj/vlabdev/rvilbig/vbox/VirtualBox-6.0.8/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstGuestControlSvc/tstGuestControlSvc] Error 1
kmk: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Actually, I get the same thing with any 6.0.X tarball. I just tried 5.2.30, and had no trouble with that. This is my standard procedure:
  • Unpack the tarball
  • ./configure --disable-docs
  • source env.sh
  • kmk all > kmk-all.log 2>&1
What am I missing?
Attachments
kmk-all.log.bz2
(71.27 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2019, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: Discuss the 6.0.8 release

Post by michael »

@RicV Is this a clean build? HMR3CanExecuteGuest should no longer be referenced anywhere in the source.
RicV

Post by RicV »

@michael: Yes, I started by unpacking the source code tarball into a new directory, from a newly opened terminal, and then built it there. I assume that's what you mean by a clean build. I did grep the whole tree for HMR3CanExecuteGuest before posting my inquiry, but I don't find it anywhere.

This server does happen to have 5.2.26 installed, which I built from an OSE tarball following the same basic steps. But I did not source the 5.2.26 env before unpacking and building 6.0.8.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Ah, looking more closely it seems to be using the version of VirtualBox you have in /opt and not the one built for linking.
RicV

Post by RicV »

@michael: OK, any suggestions on how to proceed? Is it required to uninstall 5.2.x before attempting to build 6.0.x? And if so, what is the proper way to uninstall VBox if was installed from an OSE build, like this?

sudo ./VirtualBox-5.2.26-r128280.run
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

You could run the uninstall script in /opt/VirtualBox/. I don't think this is supposed to be a requirement though.
RicV

Post by RicV »

Thanks, @michael. I was able to resolve the problem by uninstalling /opt/VirtualBox first. Then I removed my entire VirtualBox-6.0.8/out directory and rebuilt everything. Now I am happily using 6.0.8.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem building 6.0.8 from source

Post by socratis »

Split your topic from the "Discuss the 6.0.8 release" and moved it in the OSE area, as it was taking a life of its own. And I'm going to mark it as [Solved] at the same time, nice. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RicV

Re: [Solved] Problem building 6.0.8 from source

Post by RicV »

OK. It is solved in that I have a work around. But it is unfortunate that I have to remember to uninstall VirtualBox before building a new source code base. That had not been required before.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

From what I was told from a seasoned user "If you run into a snug, always clean up the old, cached stuff and build clean". Could be the same thing?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RicV

Post by RicV »

Occasionally needing to rm -rf out when things get tangles up makes sense. But needing to uninstall /opt/VirtualBox before building a newer OSE in my home directory surprised me, since it was not required in VBox 5.0 - 5.2. I can live with it, just seems strange.