[Solved] Install problem 10.14.5 vBox 6.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bobpoole

[Solved] Install problem 10.14.5 vBox 6.0

Post by bobpoole »

Trying to install vBox on macOS 10.14.5, I have read the guides about System Prefs > Security and Privacy > click Allow, however that button never appears for me, so there is nothing to click.

I have tried rebooting, retrying the installer, using the uninstall tool and retrying the installer, button never appears.

Logs are as follows:
May 15 08:53:53 MacBook-Pro installd[715]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
May 15 08:53:55 MacBook-Pro installd[715]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
	}
May 15 08:53:56 MacBook-Pro Installer[1027]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
May 15 08:53:56 MacBook-Pro Installer[1027]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
May 15 08:53:56 MacBook-Pro Installer[1027]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2019, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
Darius123
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7 Pro, MacOS, Linux*

Re: Install problem 10.14.5 vBox 6.0

Post by Darius123 »

Restart your mac in Recovery mode (cmd + R)

Then open a Terminal and enter:
spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
Restart your mac.

VB5E2TV963 is the code for oracle.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84092&start=75#p448514
bobpoole

Re: Install problem 10.14.5 vBox 6.0

Post by bobpoole »

worked perfect, thank you
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2019, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
jonsnow

Re: [Solved] Install problem 10.14.5 vBox 6.0

Post by jonsnow »

I was getting that exact same error and tried the same steps bobpoole mentioned (and many more) but Darius123's solution of adding Oracle to approved kexts in recovery mode did not work for me until after I'd successfully installed VirtualBox. After a lot of trial and error, I ended up getting VirtualBox installed and run with vagrant by disabling csrutil (in recovery mode) then rebooting and running `chflags -R restricted /V*/*/Library/StagedExtensions` in recovery mode. However, after everything was successfully installed and working, I enabled csrutil and tried to test it again but VirtualBox didn't start properly with the messages:

Code: Select all

The virtual machine 'vagrant' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
and

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 
Once again, googling showed the solution as going to Security & Privacy to allow the blocked item but nothing shows up there and it still gives me that error when spctl is disabled. I then tried Darius123's solution again and this time it worked (maybe because it was now installed successfully or something). Hopefully this can help someone else if they run into the same issue.

Some of the many things I tried that didn't work:
  • Installing older versions of VirtualBox
  • Installing Virtualbox with Homebrew
  • Monitoring System Preferences > Security & Privacy for an access blocked dialogue
  • Disabling spctl
  • Running the uninstall tool countless times throughout this process
  • Restarting my computer a number of times
  • Deleting any VirtualBox files I could find with `ag VirtualBox /` and `find / -name VirtualBox`
  • Entering recovery mode and searching for any VirtualBox related files to try and delete them
  • In recovery mode, running `chflags -R restricted /V*/*/Library/StagedExtensions` and rebooting before trying to install VirtualBox again
  • Running sudo kextutil -v -t /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext which outputs the following (no it's not cut off, it really does end on the "Diagnostics for ....kext:" and I also get this same rejection message even if I have done `sudo spctl --master-disable`)

Defaulting to kernel file '/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'
    Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fc9d643e740 [0x7fff8ac5f8e0]> { UR = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application%20Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv" }
    Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fc9d643e740 [0x7fff8ac5f8e0]> { UR = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application%20Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv" }
    Diagnostics for /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext:
^ it made me remove an "L" where the URs are so I could post this as a new user
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2019, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
Darius123
Guest OSses: Win 7 Pro, MacOS, Linux*

Post by Darius123 »

when you run in terminal:

spctl kext-consent list
does list VB5E2TV963 ?
bock

Post by bock »

Confirm, woks fine (also for 6.0.8)
chrisjniles

Post by chrisjniles »

Worked for me as well, though it took a two attempts to get it to work. macOS Mojave 10.14.15 and VirtualBox 6.0.8.
HeidiG

Post by HeidiG »

I am having the same issue. I tried the spctl kext-consent command which solved the upgrade installation issue. Now I have the following error and the VM will still not open:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MyVM.

Implementation of the USB 3.0 controller not found!

Because the USB 3.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 3.0 support in the VM settings (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
How do I fix this error so the VM will open?
ppinter1
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: linux

Post by ppinter1 »

So, have you tried to install the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack as the error message suggested?

I hit the same snag and installing the Extension Pack fixed it for me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

HeidiG wrote:Now I have the following error
We're not going to discuss a different issue on a [Solved] thread, which is going to be locked, because it's a duplicate of installation fails for vbox 6.0.8 on osx 10.14.5.

Please open a new thread, with an appropriate title.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.