In full screen mode the virtual machine always move to main host screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
boh

In full screen mode the virtual machine always move to main host screen

Post by boh »

Hi,
I have a configuration with an host PC running Windows 10 and 3 monitors (identical: same brand, product number).
I run virtualbox 6.0.4 with corresponding guest additions.
My guest virtual machine is running windows 10 too.

My problem is that, in full screen mode, the guest screen always appears in the main host screen.
No matter which one of the 3 monitor I choose from the menu "View" --> "Virtual Screen 1" --> "Use Host Screen 'X'", the guest machine will always appear on the main host page.

If I switch to non-full screen mode, everything works fine: the guest screen will appear in the host monitor I chose.

Please help.
Thank you,
Domenico
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: In full screen mode the virtual machine always move to main host screen

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
boh

Post by boh »

Thank you for your support.
I attach the log file.
Note: in the meantime I installed version 6.08 - problem persists.

Kind regards
Attachments
Vbox.zip
log file
(32.09 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
boh

Post by boh »

Hello Mpak, this is just to know if you need more info and if I provided what you asked for.

Regards,
Domenico
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Actually, I wasn't offering to address your problem, I simply reminded you that a log file is required when asking a support question on the forums. It makes it more likely that someone would respond.

I'm not in a position to test your problem myself since I personally prefer to use one huge monitor rather than multiple smaller ones. So, someone with a multi-monitor setup will have to test this.

The only thing I can suggest (and I'm not very hopefull) is to try it with the graphics controller set to VBoxVGA, rather than the VMSVGA setting you have currently selected (which was never intended for Windows guests).

You have the Guest Additions ISO mounted, but you have not actually installed them. You should do so and remember to eject the CD after.

Oh, and your decision to allocate all 4 cores to the guest, leaving none for the host, is generally considered bad, though I can't see how that would affect this problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A couple more notes to what mpack said...

Can you try with the latest of the 5.2.x series, 5.2.30 as of this writing.

I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file: right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
boh

Post by boh »

Hi Socratis, Hi mpack,

thank you for your reply.

@mpack:
- I changed to VboxVGA (but it did not help)
- I had already installed the guest additions by downloading them on the virtual machine and installing the package. Anyway, following your suggestion, I re-installed them using the mounted iso disk
- As per the 4 cores: I assigned 4 cores to the VM because my pc have 8 cores

@Socratis:
- as per your request, I installed 5.2.30 and I attach here the .vbox file (the full screen problem persists, by the way)
- in case it could be useful, I also attach the .vbox file for sw 6.0.8 with the changes suggested by mpack.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Domenico
Attachments
Clone di PC di Casa Virtualbox 6.0.8.zip
vbox file for sw 6.0.8
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Clone di PC di Casa Virtualbox 5.30.zip
vbox file for sw 5.30
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 13 times