Mac install fails - Need help urgently

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
d4rkw1ng

Mac install fails - Need help urgently

Post by d4rkw1ng »

Last week I was able to use Virtual Box, but I went and did a factory reset to my MacBook Pro (2018).

When I tried to install the VirtualBox for the Mac version, it gets to about the end and says it failed.

However, you can open the program, but one feature I did notice that does not work properly is the Host Network Manager (which is the biggest thing I need).

It does not have any ethernet adapters available, and will not allow to let me create one.

I have followed the notes on the forum here. I also tried going into recovery mode, and using the terminal and entered the following commands:

spctl-kext-consent add VB5E2TV963

sudo spctl-kext-consent add VB5E2TV963

I tried both of these, and both gave me a response of "Command not recognized"

I need Virtual Box for my class. So if anyone can help - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for anyone that can help me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac install fails - Need help urgently

Post by socratis »

First, you posted in the "OSX pre-releases" section. I highly doubt that you're using a beta, I'm moving this to "OSX Hosts".

Second, when the installer fails you stop there, you don't go "However the program opens ... but I have a problem". You got to see where the installer failed and why, and then you move on from there.

So, uninstall VirtualBox, reboot, and try to install it again. Report where and why it fails.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
d4rkw1ng

Post by d4rkw1ng »

Noted. Thank you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.23.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.23.43 AM.png (112.84 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
d4rkw1ng

Post by d4rkw1ng »

Apple also had me create another admin account and try it there. Same result. Already deleted that account.

They also had me do a safe boot, and try an install that way, the same result.
arieber

Post by arieber »

d4rkw1ng wrote:Noted. Thank you.
i can confirm this issues after updating to mac os 10.14.5.
A running installation is still working on a mac with this version but installation on a MacBook has this issue. I didn't try on the mac as i need it to work.
d4rkw1ng

Post by d4rkw1ng »

The system I have running is 10.14.5.

Is there any other information you need?
thehobbo

Post by thehobbo »

+1

After doing the whole try install, run uninstall, reboot, try installing again, check security & privacy for blocked access - v6.0.8 keeps failing to install on osx 10.14.5 where VirtualBox-6.0.6-130049-OSX.dmg installs without issue.

Something is a-miss.

I managed to capture this log - not very verbose sorry.

Code: Select all

May 20 10:40:09 Jamess-MacBook-Pro installd[1058]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
May 20 10:40:12 Jamess-MacBook-Pro installd[1058]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
      NSFilePath = "./postflight";
      NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
      NSURL = "file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
      PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
  }
May 20 10:40:13 Jamess-MacBook-Pro Installer[1518]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
May 20 10:40:13 Jamess-MacBook-Pro Installer[1518]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
May 20 10:40:13 Jamess-MacBook-Pro Installer[1518]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Please read the topic pinned to the top of this forum (again):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84092&start=75

The command is 'spctl kext-consent add ...' (not spcclt-kext-consent)
d4rkw1ng

Post by d4rkw1ng »

Tried something new and it worked.

I totally cleared out my Mac, and went back to a High Sierra OS model. After doing that, installed the new software for High Sierra. And then I set up virtual box. Everything went through just fine.

So one of the issues as everybody’s having, I could possibly be that virtual box has a problem installing on Mojave, or it might be in another program that is interfering. However I did have ad blocker on my computer before, so it’s a possibility that that might’ve been an interfering as well.
So one of the issues everybody’s having, I could possibly be that virtual box has a problem installing on Mojave, or it might be in another program that is interfering. However I did have ad blocker on my computer before, so it’s a possibility that that might’ve been an interfering as well.

I just wanted to give a heads up, hopefully my experiences will help somebody out. Good luck
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

d4rkw1ng wrote:could possibly be that virtual box has a problem installing on Mojave
6.0.8 will *NOT* get installed on 10.14.5, period. Apple will not allow it, let's make that clear folks, because it is not "Notarized" and there's nothing short of workarounds to get it going.

There's a sticky on the OSX Hosts area, Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908). It will be containing the latest roadblock info that are put in place by the "fruit".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.