[Solved] The Virtual Machine crashes when I move the mouse over the VirtualBox icons

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
WeirdSystem

[Solved] The Virtual Machine crashes when I move the mouse over the VirtualBox icons

Post by WeirdSystem »

I am facing a problem from the beginning when I installed the Virtual Box . When I move the mouse over an icon (a small button) of Virtual Box , the Virtual Machine crashes . In fact this even prevented me from installing a Guest OS . After many such accidents, I found out the - probably- the crash is not provoked right when hovering the mouse over an icon , but if you leave it there (over the icon) for just a little longer . This makes me think that the problem could appear when a Tool tip is about to pop-up . If that's what's happening , maybe I am missing some programmatic tool in my PC . A framework maybe ? I took care to update my video card's drivers and even disable the Firewall and the Virus Protection , but the problem does not go away .
All in all , I have found that the problem takes place when moving the mouse over these objects :
- the cute icons at the bottom right corner .
- the menu items (like Device etc)
- the correspondent menu bar when in Full screen (I think it's called Mini Bar) .
- the options that appear when pressing HOST + HOME .
- even the dialog box that appears when selecting : Devices > Shared folders
I can bypass the problem on all the above by taking care to move the mouse very fast so as not to leave above for too long (~2 seconds) or by simply deactivating the various toolbars (like the one with the icons on the bottom right corner) . However from time to time I fail to successfully handle the mouse and the VM crashes ... So I wonder if there is a solution for this problem .

Virtual Box version : 5.2.2
Host OS : Win7 SP1 64-bits
Guest OS : WinXP SP3 32-bits
Video card : GTX 580

PS : As I said , I usually have no problem by either avoiding to leave the mouse too long over the icons and the menu items or by disabling the toolbars . However there is something which I cannot avoid at all : it's the dialog box that appears when pressing Devices > Shared folders (from within the VM) . The only way I can bypass this is by manually connecting a shared folder through : My Network Places > Tools > Connect network disk (or something like that) .
Last edited by socratis on 19. Dec 2017, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
WeirdSystem

Re: The Virtual Machine crashes when I move the mouse over the VirtualBox icons

Post by WeirdSystem »

I think I should share this with you :
Today I upgraded my video card (from GTX 580 to GTX 1060) and now the problem no longer exists . The weird thing , however , is that the drivers were the same . As I said in the previous post , I had taken care to install the latest drivers . I can confirm they were : 388.59 WHQL . Now , my new card uses the same drivers too , because they are the latest ones (for both cards) . You can verify it in nVidia's web page .
Since the drivers were the same , I can only assume that in order for someone to fully operate Virtual Box , he must have a GTX 10xx generation video card !! :D
Of course this is a joke ! No matter what however , I thought I had to inform you about what I observed .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: The Virtual Machine crashes when I move the mouse over the VirtualBox icons

Post by socratis »

WeirdSystem wrote:The weird thing , however , is that the drivers were the same.
Well, lately the GPU manufacturers tend to bundle all their drivers in a single package. So, having the latest package doens't mean that the drivers are exactly the same, or that the same bugs apply equally to all of their GPUs.

But, I'm glad you got it going and thanks for letting us know, it might come in handy! Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alexander_ASF

Re: [Solved] The Virtual Machine crashes when I move the mouse over the VirtualBox icons

Post by Alexander_ASF »

After 1.5 years, the described problem exists. Not solved unfortunately, VirtualBox crashes and takes away data. Everything is exactly as the topic starter wrote. I.e. а running virtual machine crashes when a balloon tooltip appears (when it pops up), and this is not a joke.

Host OS: Win7 SP1 64-bits
Guest OS: FreeBSD 10.4 64-bits
Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (built into the motherboard).
Motherboard: EVGA-152-HR-E979
VirtualBox version: 6.0.6

Maybe anybody knows, is there a way to disable these tooltips?
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] The Virtual Machine crashes when I move the mouse over the VirtualBox icons

Post by socratis »

Alexander_ASF wrote:Maybe anybody knows, is there a way to disable these tooltips?
That would be a question for your host, not VirtualBox. And AFAICS, the reports of the crashes are not pilling in. Which tells me that you should take a closer look on what's wrong with your host. I have 2 Win7 hosts and I've never seen this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alexander_ASF

Post by Alexander_ASF »

socratis wrote:That would be a question for your host, not VirtualBox.
Let's see this way, there are two reports that tooltips cause VM crashes. But all the other tooltips in the system work correctly (and the system did not cause complaints for many years). So, may be the realization of tooltips in the VM somehow not super? OK, let the developers believe that everything is super, but may be at least make the option to disable this tooltips (considering that they can be annoying)? Not? I understand that the developers may not read this forum, but also they may read. :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The thing is that there are really a few reports and unless it can't be reproduced, it can't be looked at, it can't be fixed. So, the question is: what's different in your host from a plain installation? Do you think that a host re-install would cause this? I don't think it would.

I would look at what other Qt-based programs you have installed, it's the only thing I can think of. :?
Alexander_ASF

Post by Alexander_ASF »

socratis wrote:I would look at what other Qt-based programs you have installed, it's the only thing I can think of. :?
Such a QT-based program is installed on my system...
It is - VortualBox in Manager mode - does not crash.
So, the problem is not solved and it should not be marked as "solved". IMHO.
Reinstall the system - this, I'm sorry, is not a solution. But I'll think over your words about the differences.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Alexander_ASF wrote:VortualBox in Manager mode - does not crash.
Is that a typo? And if it's not, then what do you mean "in Manager mode"?
Alexander_ASF wrote:So, the problem is not solved and it should not be marked as "solved". IMHO.
Let's see... The original OP solved the problem by getting another GPU, which means different drivers as well. And it was marked as [Solved].

And then you come with a similar problem, the 2nd report in about 6 years that I'm involved in the forums. The 2nd report in the millions of users that use VirtualBox for Windows. Who's telling me that your case is not a bug in your GPU drivers? And that's another vector you might want to attack the problem as well...
Alexander_ASF

Post by Alexander_ASF »

socratis wrote:
Alexander_ASF wrote:VortualBox in Manager mode - does not crash.
Is that a typo? And if it's not, then what do you mean "in Manager mode"?
VirtualBox Manager Window (Figure 1.3.) of https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html
In any guest window (in toolbox of guest window) the tooltips cause a crash of the guest window (memory error at 0x00000000). But here they work great:

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, it's the VM's window that causes the crash? Not the VirtualBox Manager? Can you show me a picture pointing to where it would crash if the tooltip showed up? Just take a small picture of the area of interest and annotate it.
Alexander_ASF

Post by Alexander_ASF »

socratis wrote:Can you show me a picture pointing to where it would crash if the tooltip showed up?
https://www.youtube.com/embed/KqmTqoiHqQM
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey Alexander_ASF, thanks a lot for this example, perfect.

That's got to be one of the most weird crashes. The tooltips in the Manager window don't generate a crash, in the VM window they do! :shock:

I've notified the developers over IRC...
Masurao

Post by Masurao »

Alexander_ASF wrote:After 1.5 years, the described problem exists. Not solved unfortunately, VirtualBox crashes and takes away data. Everything is exactly as the topic starter wrote. I.e. а running virtual machine crashes when a balloon tooltip appears (when it pops up), and this is not a joke.
After an hour of banging my head on the desk, I realized what the problem is. I remembered that I made very deep and custom changes to the system files of the desktop theme decoration... Oh, fu!...
I started "sfc / scannow" and after rebooting I was at a classic win7 desktop theme (crying).
And finally virtualbox working as expected.
Hope my post was useful, cuz I specially registered here for it. =)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Masurao wrote:Hope my post was useful, cuz I specially registered here for it. =)
Absolutely helpful, and thank you very much for registering and providing another vector of attack! Kudos.

PS. If your first post was like that, please keep on posting ;)