Frozen virtual machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Please help

Frozen virtual machine

Post by Please help »

My virtual machine is frozen what do I do?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Frozen virtual machine

Post by mpack »

You can start by researching the minimum information needed in a problem report. I.e. an adequate description and a VM log.
Please help

Post by Please help »

And how do I send that?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please help

Post by Please help »

There is the log but I don't know how to get the adequate description [ModEdit: Attachment to personal e-mail removed] I pasted this link because I can't upload it as an attachment it's too big
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Zip the log and you should have no problem attaching it here. We will still require a description of the circumstances of the problem.
Please help

Post by Please help »

This is the log.
Attachments
My Virtual Machine-2019-05-16-22-40-43.zip
(27.74 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You'll need to explain the situation with a lot more details. This isn't Twitter, you can use more than 128 characters. ;)

When does the VM freeze? At the beginning? In the middle? Because your VM shut down after you requested it, after more than 4 hours of operation:
04:06:52.349293 Console::powerDown(): A request to power off the VM has been issued (mMachineState=Stopping, InUninit=0)
04:06:52.350441 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'POWERING_OFF'
What we need (besides the details) is a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Please help

Post by Please help »

When I boot it up it says this:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I need to see the log. I asked for the log. I gave you the instructions.

I see you have some issues providing details. If this is a language issue, see https://translate.google.com/
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That log show VT-x is active, good, no seemingly glaring problems like a Guru Meditation, and the guest seems to shut down ok. The guest OS is doing something guest-os-like. Seems that Virtualbox is working.

I do see this in the log:
00:00:05.561911 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000040000000 (1 073 741 824, 1 024 MB)
1GB memory seems low for a Windows 10 OS. Try 2 or 4 GB, your host at the time of starting this log had
00:00:05.341772 Host RAM: 16292MB (15.9GB) total, 7467MB (7.2GB) available
As mentioned before in your previous topic where you were trying to solve this problem (which you abandoned btw to start this one on the same subject),
Scottgus1 wrote:Now that your guest is running and the guest's operating system is doing something, Virtualbox is doing its job and you need to solve the problem as if you were working on a physical PC. Google will be your friend in troubleshooting OS install issues.
and
BillG wrote:As before, that is a Windows message, not VirtualBox. You will see that also on a physical machine.
Have you googled anything like "OOBEREGION Windows 10"? Or "OOBEKEYBOARD Windows 10" from the previous topic?
Please help

Post by Please help »

It no longer freezes after I changed the VM settings to that it will use 4 processors and not only 1 but now every time I finish the setup it resets the windows setup and I have to start from that point:
Attachments
This is the point that it resets to.png
This is the point that it resets to.png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 8851 times
Please help

Post by Please help »

Please help me, the virtual machine isn't working it gets reset after I complete the setup
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Other than ejecting the install CD before the final reboot, then I can't think of anything to try. You should really contact Microsoft if you want Windows support.

I would however reduce the core count in the VM to 2. Your host has 4 cores total, for stability you do NOT want to share all of them with a VM.