Discuss the 6.0.8 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 6.0.8 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 6.0.8 release here.
You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 6.0.8 is a new maintenance release.

VirtualBox 6.0.14 has been released. Please try that before continuing the discussion in this thread.

Known new issues/regressions
These are new and confirmed tickets about issues with 6.0.8: See also:
Marko73
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Windows 7 x64

Re: Discuss the 6.0.8 release

Post by Marko73 »

Oversized mouse pointer bug still not fixed: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14366

Also, why doesn't mouse integration work when the guest input device is set to PS/2 mouse any more? (Win10 x64 on both host and guest).

Back to 5.2.28 then, which is what I've had to use ever since 6.0.0 came out, as not one of the 6.0.x releases has worked properly. At least the mouse clicks register in the right position on screen with this release, unlike 6.0.6, but I'm getting the distinct impression that testing and QA has gone right downhill and that nobody really cares any more.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Please remind me what is wrong with mouse integration, now that the other issue has been fixed. Is there a bug for it?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

michael wrote:Please remind me what is wrong with mouse integration
As far as I can see with macOS 10.14.5 host, VirtualBox 6.0.8 and a Windows 10 guest nothing at all. For reasons I can't recall, I always change the mouse type to PS/2 in my guests so would have noticed if there were problems.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:For reasons I can't recall, I always change the mouse type to PS/2 in my guests
You like living on the edge? :P :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
enlightener

Post by enlightener »

Maybe I doing it wrong, but can not make work bridget netwoking on Windows 10 host and Windows 10 guest on the 6.0.8 release.
Can someone check it?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@enlightener
Was it working before? What kind of Bridged mode, over WiFi or over Ethernet? What happens if you downgrade to 6.0.6 or .4?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
enlightener

Post by enlightener »

the Bridged mode is over Ethernet. It is surprising, ffter I have tried to downgrade to 5.2.30, it started to work.
Then I have upgraded to 6.0.6, it continued to work. And then have returned to 6.0.8, it continued to work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's what's called a "glitch" ;)
Glad you returned to normalcy, because you were the only user that reported something like that...
Marko73
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Windows 7 x64

Post by Marko73 »

michael wrote:Please remind me what is wrong with mouse integration, now that the other issue has been fixed. Is there a bug for it?
On every 6.0.x release so far, mouse integration is greyed out for me in PS/2 mouse mode. if I switch to USB tablet mode, I get the previously mentioned huge mouse pointer bug. All of this is with the appropriate version of the guest additions installed for the particular version of VirtualBox being tested.

I have not yet seen a bug for the mouse integration issue but I can't say for certain that none exists. I have seen it mentioned by others on the forum.

Mouse integration works fine on 5.2.28.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Marko73 wrote:On every 6.0.x release so far
Marko73,
Since this is a thread about issues specifically related to the 6.0.8 release, not the 6.0.0 release, not the 6.0.2 release, not the 6.0.4 release, not the 6.0.6 release, and not a generic thread where you post all your 6.0.x problems, I suggest you open a new thread, with full details and VBox.log.ZIPPED attached for the affected VM, so that it can get more proper attention.
karolbe

Post by karolbe »

I noticed something in 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.13.0) which was not in the previous versions: focus stealing. When I have VBox window opened and visible (i.e. not minimized) and when I click on some other window in the host focus immediately goes back to VBox window. When I minimize the VBox window all is normal.

This is happening with any guest OS, Windows, Linux, even on the BIOS screen.

It could be as well some incompatibility with DE, I am using SUSE Tumbleweed and KDE. Does anyone experience something like this?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

karolbe wrote:I noticed something in 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.13.0) which was not in the previous versions: focus stealing.
Posted to the vbox-dev mailing list...
Larry Finger wrote:When a Linux host runs Qt 5.13, any VB guest will constantly steal the focus making it nearly impossible to do anything with the host. The problem was reported by an openSUSE user at https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1140084.

The bug is discussed at https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-76742. A fix that reduces a focusinTimer timeout from 400 to 200 msec fixes the problem. A comment in VB's captureKeyboard() helps explain why that works:

/* On X11, we do not grab the keyboard as soon as it is captured, but delay it
 * for 300 milliseconds after the formal capture. We do this for several reasons:
 * - First, when several windows are created they all try to capture the keyboard when
 *   they get the focus. Due to the asynchronous nature of X11 the first window may only
 *   gets notified after the last is created, and there is a dance if they respond to
 *   the notifications by grabbing the keyboard and trigger new focus changes in the process.
 * - Second, grabbing the keyboard immediately on focus change upsets some window managers,
 *   they give us the focus then try to grab the keyboard themselves, and sulk if they fail
 *   by refusing to e.g. drag a window using its title bar.
 * IMPORTANT! We do the same under all other hosts as well mainly to have the
 *            common behavior everywhere while X11 is forced to behave that way. */

The final statement shows why this 300 msec should not be changed in VB, thus the problem needs to fixed in Qt 5.13.

While the Qt developers are deciding what the "correct" fix should be, openSUSE has changed the Qt package in Tumbleweed to reduce the focusinTimer timeout from 400 to 200 msec. Thus far, no adverse effects have been noted.
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
karolbe

Post by karolbe »

andyp73 wrote:
karolbe wrote:I noticed something in 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.13.0) which was not in the previous versions: focus stealing.
Posted to the vbox-dev mailing list...
Thanks a lot for the link, I installed the patched RPM and it is OK now.
tomplatz
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 build 10586 (32/64-bit)

Post by tomplatz »

Hi everyone. I am still using the previous release version and I am happy with it. Is 6.0.8 release much better and I should install it or better wait for the next one? Thanks :)