Unable to run on Mojave

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
chentao1006

Unable to run on Mojave

Post by chentao1006 »

After I update to Mojave, Virtualbox can't run anymore. There is no any error tip. The app icon just hopped only once on the docker, then stopped running. I tried uninstall and reboot then reinstall, but it's still like that. Please help. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to run on Mojave

Post by socratis »

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press "Cmd+L" to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chentao1006

Post by chentao1006 »

I did those steps.

Please check the log file.
Attachments
Installer Log 10-Oct-2018.txt
This is the log file of installation. And there is no any log when I try to run the app. It still can't run.
(17.3 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You installation looks fine:
Oct 10 16:36:19 chentaode-Mac-mini Installer[4819]: Displaying 'Install Succeeded' UI.
And you have nothing VirtualBox related in the "User Diagnostic Reports" in you open "/Applications/Utilities/Console.app" after you try to run VirtualBox?

What about if you launch VirtualBox, or try to run "VBoxManage" from the terminal? Post the output of the two following commands:
  • 
    VBoxManage -version
    VirtualBox &

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jhoufek

Post by jhoufek »

Same problem. Mac OS 10.14, but VB won't install. Install log attached. No log in Console.
Attachments
Installer Log 12-Oct-2018.txt.zip
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jhoufek wrote:Same problem.
No, not really. You didn't allow the extension to load by allowing Oracle to install/run a kernel extension. See Installation fails on 10.13.x (rc=-1908):
Oct 12 08:59:22 Jamess-MacBook-Pro-3 installd[572]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
        Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy
        prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
jhoufek

Post by jhoufek »

At no time did I get a pop-up directing me to “security & privacy” to allow the kext file to load. The only pop-up was informing me that VB failed to install.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jhoufek wrote:At no time did I get a pop-up directing me to “security & privacy” to allow the kext file to load.
You should definitely let Apple know about this!!!
Because, it's their installer, their sh..tuff that they got to fix... ;)
jhoufek

Post by jhoufek »

I can do that. So I am out of luck in terms of loading VB until Apple does something ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't read the link that I pointed you to, did you? Well, read it before asking any more questions that have been already answered please...
ryan a

Post by ryan a »

I was able to get the kernel extensions to load the KEXTs without user approval by adding the VirtualBox Apple Developer Team ID in spctl kext-consent

I used the following command to get the Team ID:

Code: Select all

codesign -dv --verbose=4 /Applications/VirtualBox.app
Result:

TeamIdentifier=VB5E2TV963
  1. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold Command-R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue.
  3. From the Disk Utility sidebar, select the volume that you're using, then choose File > Mount from the menu bar. (If the volume is already mounted, this option is dimmed.)
  4. Then enter your administrator password when prompted.
  5. Quit Disk Utility.
  6. Choose Terminal from the Utilities menu in the menu bar.
  7. Type the command:

spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
  8. When done, choose Apple () menu > Restart.
Spartac0

Post by Spartac0 »

spctl: failed to store new configuration.
I'm on the verge of a psychological breakdown.
has Anyone figured this so far?

Cheers
G
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Just joined to say many thanks to 'ryan a' for their solution that worked for me.
barrykn

Post by barrykn »

Spartac0 wrote:

spctl: failed to store new configuration.
I'm on the verge of a psychological breakdown.
has Anyone figured this so far?

Cheers
G
You must reboot into Recovery mode for the command to work. (I'm guessing you didn't reboot into Recovery, because that's the same error I got when I tried the command without rebooting into Recovery mode first.)

Edit to add: By the way, if I try to install VirtualBox without running the spctl command in Recovery mode, I get this message on the screen near the end, right before the installation fails:
System Extension Blocked
A program tried to load one or more system extensions that are incompatible with this version of macOS. Please contact "Oracle America, Inc." for support.
barrykn

Post by barrykn »

socratis wrote:You should definitely let Apple know about this!!!
Because, it's their installer, their sh..tuff that they got to fix... ;)
As Darius123 noted in another thread, Apple's developer documentation states (emphasis added):
Beginning in macOS 10.14.5, all new or updated kernel extensions and all software from developers new to distributing with Developer ID must be notarized in order to run. In a future version of macOS, notarization will be required by default for all software.
So I think the ball's back in Oracle's court. In fact, I think I saw some log messages about this during one of my installation attempts:

error	01:17:55.537849 -0700	syspolicyd	Non-notarized kext blocked: <private>, Mon May 13 07:00:31 2019
error	01:17:55.538131 -0700	syspolicyd	Kernel Extension BLOCKED: <private>
error	01:17:55.538531 -0700	kextd	Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7f9ba2a29560 [0x7fffa6bd78e0]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application%20Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv" }
error	01:17:55.538602 -0700	kextd	org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv failed security checks; failing.