unable to install VB Guest Additions

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Katakis

unable to install VB Guest Additions

Post by Katakis »

I am a new user of VirtualBox.

In version 6.0, I am trying to install VB Guest Additions in macOS 10.12, and without the GA, I am restricted to a resolution of 1024x768. I inserted the virtual DVD, and execute the VboxDarwinAdditions.pkg. Installation seems to be working, but it had no effect when I restarted the machine whatsoever. Next, I went into Terminal, logged in as root, and executed the VboxLinuxAdditions.run file.

Code: Select all

Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.0.0 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions Installer
Unable to determine correct library path.
And that's it. How can I install GAs successfully?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: unable to install VB Guest Additions

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

Here is the log.

Note that most of the entries inside the log have references to "Restore". That is because I saved/restore snapshots to try out different stuff (ie: getting the GAs to work)
Attachments
VBoxLog.zip
(35.09 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You replaced OS X on an IMac 12/13 host with Linux? That's interesting. I had to make sure you were using Apple hardware.

Why are you still using 6.0.0? You need to get away from ".0" releases as soon as possible. 6.0.8 was released yesterday.

Also please read: OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.. In particular please note: the OS X GAs have never been officially announced, and very little is working: e.g. no graphics drivers.

You would need to find a VESA driver for OS X if you want to change the display size. Or perhaps setting a size hint would help.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

mpack wrote:You replaced OS X on an IMac 12/13 host with Linux? That's interesting. I had to make sure you were using Apple hardware.
So running a macOS VM on a non-Mac PC is forbidden?

I abandoned macOS for several reasons. I love to customize my OS, and Linux provides better security. Thank god that I don't have an iMac Pro. Its T2 Chip locks you into running macOS only.
Why are you still using 6.0.0?
Because as of this post, that was the latest version that was inside the repository. I was told to always use Synaptic to install software. and not through BASH, in case I happen to brick my system.
You would need to find a VESA driver for OS X if you want to change the display size. Or perhaps setting a size hint would help.
I didn't know that there was such a thing. Many thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Katakis wrote:I am trying to install VB Guest Additions in macOS 10.12, and without the GA, I am restricted to a resolution of 1024x768
You do not get advanced graphics on an OSX guest with the GAs. If you want a different resolution, look at ch. 3.14.1. Video Modes in EFI and choose what's best for your setup.
Katakis wrote:and executed the VboxLinuxAdditions.run file
Spot the problem? You're trying to install the Linux GAs on an OSX VM. Not going to work.
Katakis wrote:So running a macOS VM on a non-Mac PC is forbidden?
Yes. See ch. 3.1.1 Mac OS X Guests of the User Manual.
Katakis wrote:Thank god that I don't have an iMac Pro. Its T2 Chip locks you into running macOS only.
That's ... interesting. Have you tried anything?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.