macOS command-tab to Win VM opens Windows Start menu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BobOra

macOS command-tab to Win VM opens Windows Start menu

Post by BobOra »

I switch back and forth frequently between my Windows 10 (Enterprise) VM and an app in macOS (e.g., TextEdit). When I switch back to Windows, the Windows Start menu gets in my way. I'd rather not have to escape that or click behind to make it disappear. I believe it opens because the command key is mapped to the Windows key, so even though I am using command + tab in macOS, I believe it carries across the mapping as I enter the Windows VM. I'm using the left command key when command tabbing, and I haven't remapped the command key (i.e., it is set to the default).

Apologies if I'm missing anything obvious, but if there is a solution, I'd love to know.

thanks

Bob
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: macOS command-tab to Win VM opens Windows Start menu

Post by socratis »

I'm moving this to "OSX Hosts" from the "Windows Guests", as this can happen with any guest. And it does.

What I'm doing is to change the default HostKey to RightCmd. And after that I do a: RightCmd (alone, once) » LeftCmd+Tab to switch from Windows to OSX. It adds one keystroke, but I can live with that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BobOra

Re: macOS command-tab to Win VM opens Windows Start menu

Post by BobOra »

Turns out my HostKey was already set to RightCmd (not sure if I made that setting), but I didn't know about the procedure you provided. It is indeed an extra keystroke, but is better than having to dismiss the Windows Start menu. Thanks for the tip.