[Fixed] Scanner crashes VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Normann1974

[Fixed] Scanner crashes VirtualBox

Post by Normann1974 »

I fired up my scanner today after not using for some time. I use it on Windows XP in a virtual machine because I only have a 32-bit driver for that operating system.

The latest version of VirtualBox (6.0.6) crashes when I execute the scan operation in the built-in windows scanner program (wiaacmgr.exe). The message is in Danish, but I it translates to something like "The instruction at 0x... referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not read. Click OK to end the program." I've tried 3 times, same result. Please see attached image.

The scanner has worked wthout problems in earlier versions of VirutalBox for many years.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

/Jan
Attachments
Screenshot of crash.
Screenshot of crash.
read.png (57.76 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jun 2019, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Scanner crashes VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

Most likely you need to enable VT-x in the guest. Then the VM will be better able to defend itself against bad driver code in the guest.
Normann1974

Post by Normann1974 »

If you're talking about the "Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-v" in the processor settings, it's not available for my VM.

/Jan
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That actually doesn't change my answer. That's the feature you need, whether or not it's available.

On the latter point: practically any PC sold in the last 10 years supports VT-x or AMD-v. Sometimes you need to enable it in the host BIOS, and/or disable Hyper-v in the host to stop that taking it.

If you want to continue this discussion then I need a VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Normann1974

Post by Normann1974 »

The only thing I can find in my BIOS is an option called "Virtualization Technology" which is enabled. I believe that my computer is around 10 years old. What I don't understand is why this issue has suddenly started appearing. The VM is the same, the scanner is the same. The only thing changed is that Windows 10 and VirtualBox has been upgraded in the mean time.

Attached is the log file as it looks after a crash.

/Jan
Attachments
VBox.zip
Log file
(25.22 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by socratis on 19. May 2019, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Normann1974 wrote:What I don't understand is why this issue has suddenly started appearing
There's nothing "sudden" in software, and you actually answered your own question ;)
Normann1974 wrote:The only thing changed is that Windows 10 and VirtualBox has been upgraded
Who knows what might have wrong in there...

Your setup looks fine and your Intel i7-860 CPU certainly is a fine one, that supports VT-x, and VT-x is enabled and available. There's only one minor thing in your configuration:
00:00:11.543783 3DEnabled  <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:11.543813 VRamSize   <integer> = 0x0000000001200000 (18 874 368, 18 MB)
00:00:16.757564 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
Shut down the VM. Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Enable 2D and 3D acceleration. Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB. Start the VM...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I see that you have not installed the extension pack. I would certainly do so, since I assume the scanner is USB and wants at least USB2.
Normann1974

Post by Normann1974 »

Upgrading to the latest version of VirtualBox (6.0.8 ) stopped the VB crashes from happening. But scanner still didn't work. Instead of crashing, the scanner program just fails with an error message after a few seconds of nothing happening.

Installing the extension pack didn't change anything, nor did the graphics settings (why should graphics cards settings affect my scanner?). Also, the memory settings only go to 128 MB, not 256 MB.

So I'm still stuck with a non-working scanner that worked fine some time ago. I suspect that the VB 5->6 upgrade gave me this problem.
Normann1974

Post by Normann1974 »

And also, the scanner does not need USB 2.0. It uses USB 1.1. So I guess I didn't need the extensions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Try the Test Builds. There have been a number of reports regarding failures in USB that seem to be fixed with the latest Test Builds.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Normann1974

Post by Normann1974 »

socratis wrote:Try the Test Builds. There have been a number of reports regarding failures in USB that seem to be fixed with the latest Test Builds.
I just tried the current test build and I can confirm that my scanner is working in WinXP again. Thanks for the advice. :-D

/Jan