freeze when entering from screensaver

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tor2

freeze when entering from screensaver

Post by tor2 »

Since updating from 5.2 to 6.0.6, each time I leave the VM for a while and I try to go back and enter again in Win7 guest it freezes. I've attached the log. I hope it helps.
Thanks.
Attachments
freeze vdub.zip
(32.88 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: freeze when entering from screensaver

Post by mpack »

Try disabling the screensaver and hard disk power saving features of the guest. Neither are needed for virtual hardware.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. I've removed your duplicate post from the thread Issues with a freezing Windows 10 guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Byggwir

Post by Byggwir »

I think disabling screensaver is only a inferior workaround and not a solution.

It shows an inner problem. And it is widening.
I noticed the problem with Mint 18 issues in 6.0.4 myself. Back then Win Guests were still working without problems (for me). See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91915 on reports of others.
Now I have problems with windows 10 guests starting from 6.0.6 and 6.0.8 and looks like I am not the only one. So this spreads.
Currently for windows 10 hosts I use 6.0.4 to avoid the problem.

Since this spreads I get more and more reluctant to upgrade but I don't feel safe with 6.0.4 either as there are already problems with the linux guests. It is a sign that something is wrong and getting bigger. Not being addressed to me means that the newer virtualization versions are unreliable (being said in reply to what socratis said in the linked linux problem). I doubt that any effects of freezing to what cause whatsoever don't have any impact on something else.
Hope that this gets addressed in some near future. It is essential for stability in my point of view.

This being said it is just my opinionated answer.
best regards
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Why would the devs put any resources into a feature that is pointless in a virtual machine? Just use the inferior workaround.
Byggwir

Post by Byggwir »

It is not a pointless feature. If you would use virtualbox for software testing for example then this is something essential as part of the test cycle. customer machines almost always are locked at some time or go in hibernate or other sleep mode.
And additionally as I said before the mechanism for going to sleep or blackscreening on idle and reawakening a machine also shows that there are deeper problems likely.
Although you can license virtualbox professionally leaving bugs like this open is probably the reason why I don't even know one company that does their software testing with virtualbox.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Byggwir wrote:Although you can license virtualbox professionally leaving bugs like this open is probably the reason why I don't even know one company that does their software testing with virtualbox.
Purchasing licenses for VirtualBox is also the way to get the devs to look more seriously at this "issue". You will need to break out your cheque book and start at $6,100. In the mean time, if VirtualBox doesn't do what you need and other virtualisation solutions do then no-one is making you stay.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Byggwir wrote: Although you can license virtualbox professionally leaving bugs like this open is probably the reason why I don't even know one company that does their software testing with virtualbox.
VirtualBox revenue comes entirely from business support contracts, so I rather assume that the devs have a better idea of what their paying customers want - and how many there are - than you do.