VirtualBox on Windows vs Mac

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kearneyman

VirtualBox on Windows vs Mac

Post by kearneyman »

Hey, this is more of a how does virtualbox work under the hood sort of question, but I was wandering, is VirtualBox faster/more effecient on a Windows Host vs a MacOS host, or a Linux host?

I get that VirtualBox communicates with the CPU and Motherboard via some API, but, does the OS affect/impede VB in any way? Is one host OS better for performance than another?

I primarily work with Linux as my guest OS, so if one host OS is better, I'd like to know.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: VirtualBox on Windows vs Mac

Post by Martin »

If you mainly work with Linux I would also stay with Linux for the host.
There you wouldn't have the problems of Microsoft introducing more and more Hyper-V based "Guard" functions to Windows 10 which block Virtualbox from using hardware virtualization.
kearneyman

Post by kearneyman »

Hey Thanks for the reply!

I only want to have 1 laptop: and I just can't rely on Linux (I've got some programs I've bought which are paid and Mac/Windows only) so it sounds like I would be better off with a MacBook rather than windows
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kearneyman wrote:I would be better off with a MacBook rather than windows
Why does one prevent the other? You can dual- or triple-boot a MBP, not so with any other laptop out there...

As for your original question, can't really say that I've noticed any major speed differences. Not that I've done any exhaustive tests either...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.