Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
markos2680

Re: Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

Post by markos2680 »

Uncheck the "Input/Mouse Integration" solves mouse problems for me

Host : Ubuntu 18.04.2 x64
VBox : 6.0.6
Guest : Windows 7 Pro, Windows Server 2003
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

I just re-installed 6.0.6 (6.0.6_130049_fedora29-1) so that I could get logs but everything is now fine. The only obvious difference between now and when I reported the issue is that the kernel has been updated to 5.0.9-200.fc29.x86_64.

For the record, I am only using a single monitor so I don't think that the problem had anything to do with the number of monitors as has been speculated elsewhere.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Excuse me... but...

Are you people reading the thread? Or are you just eager to post a "me too"??? For the love of bytes!!! :shock:
[color=#AA0000]michael[/color] wrote: Please try the testbuilds for version 6.0 at revision 130207 once they appear. Exactly that revision, not that revision or later, so please try before they are replaced. That revision is built without a change which we suspect may be responsible for this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
markos2680

Post by markos2680 »

Confirmation that upgrading to "6.0.7 r130207" fixes mouse problems.
TheDcoder

Post by TheDcoder »

I just installed the test build (VirtualBox-6.0.7-130207-Linux_amd64) and the mouse works flawlessly! No erratic movement and clicks, scrolling works a treat :D
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

This should now be fixed in current and future 6.0 series test builds.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
TheDcoder

Post by TheDcoder »

Great, may I ask for more information as to what was causing the issue? :)
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

This change:

https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/77668/vbox

The code is slightly complex and the change was clearly not quite right. So basically mouse events getting handled which should not have.
gefr
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by gefr »

After update from 6.0.4 to 6.0.8 (or 6.0.6) the mouse position was incorrect after changing screen resolution.

Host: Windows 10
Guest: Linux Mint 19.1 Xfce 64 Bit (guest additions correspond always to VB version)
Graphics controller: VMSVGA

After boot everything is correct:
fullscreen.jpg
fullscreen.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
I dragged the mouse on the desktop. So a rectangle shows the current mouse position (correctly at bottom right corner of the rectangle) (you have to scroll down the image)

Now i switched from full screen to window-mode (<host-key>F). Now the rectangle is far away from the mouse position:
window.jpg
window.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
Switching back to the "original" screen resolution shows the correct mouse pointer postion again

If i reboot the guest in window mode everything is correct again. When i switch to full screen, the guest desktop becomes weird:
fullscreen2.jpg
fullscreen2.jpg (105.68 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
The task bar is enlarged (note the enlarged green whisker menu entry). Unfortunately, the current mouse position is not shown in the screenshot. It is far away from the highlighted menu entry "Thunderbird Email".

I did not change anything in my system with the exception of the VB upgrade.

Upgrading Windows to May, 17, 2019 brought no improvements, same after updating mint

Switching to VB 6.0.6 did not change anything.

Going to version Build 130207 (recommended by michael) is not possible because this version is no longer available.

Downgrade back to VB 6.0.4 didn´t change anything either (incl. downgrade of guest additions of course). There is also something strange with the re-installation of 6.0.4: windows does not ask for the re-installation of the network-adapters (Netzwerkapter in German). I assume, i am working with parts of 6.0.8 or 6.0.6 after downgrading to 6.0.4

I managed to find a way to change the screen resolution without rebooting: if i log out from linux (In German: "Abmelden"; <ctrl><alt><backspace>) i can switch from full screen to windowed mode (<host>F). When i log in again, everything is correct.

Another strange thing: the linux task manager lists double entrys for "VBoxClient --clipboard", "VBoxClient --display", "VBoxClient --draganddrop" and "VBoxClient --seamless". i don't know if this is correct, because i have no choice to compare that with a working version of VB.

I also tried the following:
- changing VB mouse setting from tablet to ps/2: no change
- changing mouse capture (<host>I): no change
- using old kernel in Mint (4.15.0.48 instead of 4.15.0.50): no change
- guest Windows2000: everything works correctly

I can provide appropriate log files for 6.0.8 and 6.0.4 (after downgrade).

Any help very appreciated!!
jbindel

Post by jbindel »

I noticed this strange behavior recently as well (specifically the left mouse button appears to think it remains held down) even in the VirtualBox manager UI with no VMs running.

Turning off my laptop's touchscreen (in UEFI/BIOS settings) fixed the issue, and the problem does not seem to show up when using an external non-touchscreen monitor instead of the laptop screen. (XPS 15 9550).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jbindel wrote:Turning off my laptop's touchscreen (in UEFI/BIOS settings) fixed the issue
Thanks for the feedback 'jbindel'!

Even though not usual, it seems that there is some interference with that touchscreen of yours...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.