VM will not run

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
VirtualSA
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora Linux

VM will not run

Post by VirtualSA »

I cannot get my virtual machine to start. Every time I try, I get the message "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped." I've tried changing settings within Settings, but none of them ever resolve this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have attached the Log file and the PNG screenshot.

Thanks!
Attachments
Error Message dialog box - Oracle VM VirtualBox.png
Error Message dialog box - Oracle VM VirtualBox.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
VBox.log.zip
Zipped LOG file
(44.95 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
VBox.png
VBox.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM will not run

Post by scottgus1 »

When you get a "Guru Meditation" error you can open the log and search for the words "Guru Meditation" and it will take you right to the problem. Yours is:
00:00:11.971274 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:11.971275 !!
00:00:11.971275 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
00:00:11.971317 !!
00:00:11.971322 !! Skipping ring-0 registers and stack, rcErr=VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT
Triple fault errors mean that the guest operating system tried something really dangeroulsy unusual and Virtualbox says no way.

You can search the forums by entering the CAPITALIZED_UNDERSCORE_SPACED words in a search engine then add "site:forums.virtualbox.org" to restrict the search to these forums, like this:

VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT site:forums.virtualbox.org

Lots of suggestions will come up. A few links suggest that non-optimal guest System settings or a physical hard disk with issues may be part of the problem. Check here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes to see if this OS is a supported guest OS. Try a disk check & repair in the host OS on the physical disk the guest drive is stored on, and since it's Linux, try a new guest. Be sure to pick the right template. For example, I start the new guest wizard and begin typing the name "Fedora" into the guest Name box. Soon as I get "fe" the template turns to Linux Fedora. Leave what the template picker chooses for now. In the guest's System settings, don't modify any "extended features" or the Acceleration tab unless an error message at the bottom of the Setting windows tells you to. See if Fedora boots then.
VirtualSA
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora Linux

Post by VirtualSA »

Thanks for the help and advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.207307 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.207308   Type <string>  = "ICH6" (cb=5)
This for example goes to the heart of what 'scottgus1' said about modifying the template defaults, this should be PIIX4, not ICH6.
00:00:01.649455 File system of 'E:\VMs\VirtualBox VMs\rrt-ecommerce-001\rrt-ecommerce-001.vmdk' is ntfs
Did you install that VM yourself? Or did you get it from somewhere else? If you installed it yourself, why did you chose the VMDK format? And what's up with the "001" part?

PS. Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.