Install Both VirtualBox and Win 10 on External SSD?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
TM70s

Install Both VirtualBox and Win 10 on External SSD?

Post by TM70s »

I have a Mac mini 2010 with 8GB of RAM running macOS Sierra (10.12.6). The processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (pretty old but runs well).

I'd like to know if I can install and run both VirtualBox and Windows 10 on an external SSD, and have it operate without much issue or sluggishness?

Appreciate the advice and help in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install Both VirtualBox and Win 10 on External SSD?

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox? No. For security reasons It has to be in "/Applications" or it won't run.

Your VM? Sure, could be. You got to be careful about sudden ejecting and/or power loss.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TM70s

Post by TM70s »

Ok, sounds like a plan. :D

Thanks for helping so quickly!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

A couple of notes: you can change the default location in the VirtualBox preferences. If you've already created a VM, see "Moving a VM".

Your limiting factor will be your USB3 transfer rates, not as fast to internal SATA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TM70s

Post by TM70s »

Makes sense about the transfer rates - good point.

I haven't created any VMs as of yet as I will be doing a new install of VB under Sierra.

And apologies for posting to the wrong forum!
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

socratis wrote:Your limiting factor will be your USB3 transfer rates, not as fast to internal SATA.
The 2010 Mac mini did not come with USB3 so it might be better to use the Firewire 800 port which is faster than the 4 USB 2.0 ports on the mini.

If you are handy with making repairs to computers you could try updating the internal hard drive with a large SSD OWC Hard Drive Install Video.
TM70s

Post by TM70s »

You're right in that my mini does not have USB3 ports. That would be a good step to take overall as I'm comfortable with adding an internal SSD.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2019, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Good call @rpmurray! 8)
TM70s wrote:Mac mini 2010 ... 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
We're talking about the "Macmini4,1" with 4 USB 480 Mbit/s and 1 FireWire 800 Mbit/s port. If we're talking about USB2 transfer rates of 480 Mbit/s vs 5120 Mbit/s for USB3 or 3072 Mbit/s for native SATA, the VM _is_ going to be molasses slow.