Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

Post by socratis »

@geneing
I moved/merged your post with what I believe is a common thread. Can you please read it from the beginning? Are you using 2 monitors? If yes, can you provide the information asked just above your post?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
iappcl
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows OSX Linux

Post by iappcl »

To complete the information after the upgrade from 6.0.4 to 6.0.6:
  • I have a Fedora 29, Kernel 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64 host, 100% updated.
  • I am using a Windows 10 Pro Creators Edition 64 bits as guest.
  • I only have one monitor
The behaviour is the same: erratic left button response, working as right button (shows the context menu instead of activate things). When I go to window mode (Ctrl + F), it works fine, but as soon as I go back to full screen, it becomes unusable.

All what I described was with mouse integration. When I deactivated mouse integration in full screen, it acted as expected, but erratic in the movement, so it was unpractical either.
iappcl
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows OSX Linux

Post by iappcl »

After making a couple more of tests (and sticking to version 6.0.4), it seems the problem is the GuestAdditions, without it, even I can't get optimum resolution, the cursor works fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@iappcl
iappcl wrote:I have a Fedora 29, Kernel 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64 host, 100% updated.
Since "Fedora 29, Kernel 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64" is really new, and since it had its own share of issues, are you sure that the installation went as it should? I want to see a complete ZIPPED VBox.log, and if possible the installation of the GAs. You can re-install them on top of what you already have, I just need to see the installation process output.

That would seem to be inline with your follow-up post:
iappcl wrote:it seems the problem is the GuestAdditions
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
D. Bugger
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows10, Windows7, Win98, Suze, CentOS, Ubuntu

Post by D. Bugger »

Posted earlier as ticket #18578

I have a dual screen workstation on which I installed the latest VirtualBox version (Version 6.0.6 r130049 (Qt5.9.5)) with extensions and Guest Additions. In a Windows 10 guest, with Guest Additions reinstalled, windows tend to close suddenly when I move the mouse, and when I move the mouse from one screen to the other, the right-click popup window appears (View, Sort By, Refresh...).

When I deactivate full screen mode, there are no problems other than that my guest screens are a lot smaller. When I disable Mouse Integration in full screen mode, things seem to work correctly, yet when coming back after having left the system for several minutes, the guest screens are black and I can't get it back.

Full-screen mode has become unusable. The previous version was OK.

It probably isn't in the Guest Additions, for when I downgraded, I accidentally left the 6.0.6 GA installed and everything continued to work correctly.
spike6479

Post by spike6479 »

My host is Win 10 home
Guest is win 7
Monitor 1 is samsung 4k interface DP
Monitor 2 is LG 4K interface hdmi
GPU is Radeon RX 480 from xfx
randoogle

Post by randoogle »

Same issue here. Mostly this affects my mouse scroll wheel. Every time I try to scroll, the mouse does a right-click instead. It's relatively consistent, but sometimes it will perform a left click instead (it doesn't switch back and forth, either it will left click after I boot up, or it will right click). I've also noticed that it will right-click sometimes when I'm just moving the mouse around.
I also have two monitors. Setting the VM to 1 display doesn't help, though. Of course, as everyone else has mentioned, moving to windowed mode from full screen makes the mouse start working normally.

I've attached my VBox log (on this particular boot, mouse was right-clicking when I used the scroll wheel).
Attachments
Windows10-2019-04-22-09-28-02.zip
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
proof
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by proof »

My configuration:

2x AOC Monitors with 150% DPI and 4K resolution.
EDIT: Intel Onboard VGA HD Graphics 630
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

In case it helps anyone get more information:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/MouseInput
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Just a silly thought, but I am wondering if the type of mouse in use has any effect. Has anyone seen this using a touch pad?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Does anyone experiencing this problem have experience with building VirtualBox themself in order to bisect/test patches?
barrykn

Post by barrykn »

michael wrote:Just a silly thought, but I am wondering if the type of mouse in use has any effect. Has anyone seen this using a touch pad?
I'm seeing this:
-with both a touch pad and a mouse
-with just one monitor (unlike the two monitors everyone else seems to have)
-on macOS hosts (10.13.6/10.14.4)
-with Windows guests (ranging from 2000 to 10); I have Linux guests, but I haven't gotten around to trying them with VirtualBox 6.0.6 yet
-with both Guest Additions 6.0.4 and 6.0.6
-by the way, I run all of my guests full screen, never windowed

It doesn't happen 100% of the time, there's some amount of intermittency to it:
-but it never ever happened with VirtualBox 6.0.4
-it seems more severe & easier to reproduce with the touch pad, but that could be because the touch pad makes it really easy to switch between macOS Spaces (virtual desktops), which seems to exacerbate the problem (I generally get a spurious click, usually right-click but sometimes left-click, when switching to the Space with the guest running on it -- the click happens either where the mouse pointer is, or in the upper-left corner)
-the problem happens often enough that if I repeat {start VM, use it for a couple minutes, shut it down} 5 times, I'm almost certain at least 1 of the runs will be affected (the problem probably happens more often than that, it feels like it's 50% of the time)

I don't yet have experience building VirtualBox, but I have experience building and bisecting other things, so I'll try building VirtualBox myself in the next day or two.
leenux_tux

Re: Mouse integration strange behaviour in full screen mode

Post by leenux_tux »

Hello socratis,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have been away for a few days (Easter :D ).

I have attached a log from the running machine. Yes, it's a dual monitor setup. One other thing I noticed as well, not sure if makes any difference or is of use.....

When I did manage to get a program launched, Google Chrome for example, and tried to drag it over to the second screen the program would automatically bounce back to the main screen. I tried this with a few applications and all would not stay on the second monitor.

Also, I found that I could (sometimes) get the mouse to behave if I hit the right ctrl button, but this would only last a few seconds. All very, very odd.

Thx
Attachments
trendsig-2019-04-23-16-59-38.log.zip
Log from running VM
(30.07 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Please try the testbuilds[1] for version 6.0 at revision 130207 once they appear. Exactly that revision, not that revision or later, so please try before they are replaced. That revision is built without a change which we suspect may be responsible for this.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

For anyone interested in building themselves, this is the change I reverted in the test build.

https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/77668/vbox
splnkr

Post by splnkr »

Getting this same issue on Win10 x64 with an Ubuntu 19.04 x64 guest.

I downloaded the testbuild at rev 130207 and now the VM won't start at all, get the following error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 19.04.

The virtual machine 'Ubuntu 19.04' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).  More details may be available in 'C:\Users\aPauwels\VirtualBox VMs\Ubuntu 19.04\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
I have attached the VBoxHardening.log file to this post.

Here is the output of sc.exe on windows powershell when I try to start vboxdrv:

Code: Select all

PS C:\Windows\system32> sc.exe start vboxdrv
[SC] StartService FAILED 577:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. 
Looks like a signing issue? I should mention, I initially resolved the not found error by navigating to the drivers folder inside the VirtualBox folder and installing the vboxdrv driver using the inf file.

Never mind I'm an idiot and didn't realize I had UEFI secure boot enabled. Unfortunately I can't disable this as this is a corporate machine, sorry for being useless :oops:

Reverted back to 6.0.4 for now, everything works great.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(11.92 KiB) Downloaded 32 times