VirtualBox Lubuntu 18.04.2 Guest on macOS High Sierra Display Resolution Issue

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
TonyG

VirtualBox Lubuntu 18.04.2 Guest on macOS High Sierra Display Resolution Issue

Post by TonyG »

I've been running this setup for 3 or 4 months now without issue but the latest updates have broken my ability to use fullscreen.
The only available display resolution is 1024x768.
Prior to the latest update I could use the full screen on my external monitor 1920x1200.
I first saw this issue on the latest 5.2.x version of VBox. Upgraded to VBox 6.0 along with the latest guest additions but still have the problem.
I can go back to my last snapshot (few moths ago using kernel 4.15.0-43 and everything works fine.
Seems like something in the latest updates is causing issues with detecting the monitor resolution.
On the older, working system, when not full screen I can select from many different supported resolutions.
In the latest update these options are all greyed out.

VirtualBox 6.0.4 r128413

Host: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
MacBook Pro 16GB

Guest: Lubuntu 18.04.2 6GB

Thanks
Tony
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox Lubuntu 18.04.2 Guest on macOS High Sierra Display Resolution Issue

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TonyG

Re: VirtualBox Lubuntu 18.04.2 Guest on macOS High Sierra Display Resolution Issue

Post by TonyG »

Thanks for the quick reply.
vbox.log is attached.
Tony
Attachments
vbox_log.zip
(30.54 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TonyG wrote:Upgraded to VBox 6.0 along with the latest guest additions but still have the problem
That's not the whole story, you left parts of it out of your narration, didn't you? Because you wouldn't be having this if you simply updated to 6.x.x:
00:00:01.196132 VMSVGA3dEnabled  <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:01.196140 VMSVGAEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.196141 VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
You have the VBoxSVGA enabled, something that was simply not an option in 5.x, which means that you changed that when you upgraded to 6.x.x. Shut down the VM. Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxSVGA" to "VBoxVGA". Enable 3D acceleration.
00:00:01.658650 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.868212 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
Your VM could use a 2nd CPU, it would "breathe" easier...
00:00:01.658817 ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Any particular reason why you decided to override the template defaults, and go with an unsupported, experimental, OSX-guests-only option? Change it back to the default PIIX3. Do not change the defaults unless you know what you're getting into.
00:00:01.658796 [/Devices/hda/0/AudioConfig/] (level 4)
Same thing. The default audio option for an Ubuntu-64 guest is ICH AC97. Change it to that.
00:00:01.658898 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:01.658899   Type <string>  = "ICH6" (cb=5)
And yet again! Are you actively trying to sabotage your VM? Do you think that the defaults are wrong and your choices somehow improve the VM?
00:00:02.486320 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen::revalidateNativeFullScreen: For machine-window #0
Try to keep it simple until everything is working. That means a normal window.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Hi Socratis,

I was not intentionally withholding information but trying to keep it simple, sharing the relevant information.

I was having different problems trying to get 18.04 installed and working months ago. I came across a post or blog where there were suggestions for non-default settings for my setup. I adopted these settings and they solved the issue. I am not an expert.

Everything worked perfectly for many months, this was all on VBox 5.x.
I normally update the latest Lubuntu updates as they come along and have not had issues doing so until recently.
After the update I got the error mentioned in this thread.
I could not easily downgrade so I decided to install the latest VBox 6.x.x and see if that resolved the issue but it did not.

I went back to my last snapshot, a few months old, and it worked fine. Same non-default settings for VBox but now on 6.x (and slightly older version of Lubuntu).
I suspect some incompatibility between the guest additions and latest Lubuntu.
By the way, I had also tried rebuilding/reinstalling the latest guest additions with the latest kernel headers.

I went and changed the settings per your feedback but it did not help.
The new log is attached.

Thanks
Tony
Attachments
vbox_log2.zip
(31.44 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

I updated to the latest Lubuntu and also upgraded to VBox 6.06 and corresponding guest additions.
Still not working, no full screen and no resolution other than 1024x768.
See the attached image. When I'm not full screen and go to view options I can see all the potential resolutions but they are greyed out and 1024x768 is checked.
My previous snapshot (before updating lubuntu) is still working fine.
Would really like to get this resolved.
Tony
Attachments
vbox_resize.jpg
vbox_resize.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TonyG wrote:I updated to the latest Lubuntu and also upgraded to VBox 6.06 and corresponding guest additions.
Then I need to see a new log, because the one you have is from 6.0.4. Update to 6.0.6, update the GAs. Then follow the "recipe" of getting a new ZIPPED VBox.log.

BTW, I need to see the output of the installation of the GAs! Crucial evidence actually...
TonyG wrote:When I'm not full screen and go to view options I can see all the potential resolutions but they are greyed out and 1024x768 is checked.
But you're not in Full-screen mode! Do you see the menu on the top, where "Full-screen Mode (Host+F)" is not checked? Not sure what you're doing there, but you're definitely not in Full-screen mode. If you're in Full-screen mode, you don't even get to see the resolutions, it doesn't make sense, there only one resolution, you don't get a choice!
TonyG wrote:I was not intentionally withholding information but trying to keep it simple, sharing the relevant information.
What you shared was not the whole story. And I'm not saying that you did it on purpose, you simply didn't think it was relevant. Friendly advice; don't use that tactic if you go to the doctor! :D
TonyG wrote:I came across a post or blog where there were suggestions for non-default settings for my setup
I wouldn't trust random blog ramblings compared to the proposed defaults. If they don't work, coming to the forums and checking for similar incidents is the best action...
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

socratis wrote:Then I need to see a new log, because the one you have is from 6.0.4. Update to 6.0.6, update the GAs. Then follow the "recipe" of getting a new ZIPPED VBox.log.

BTW, I need to see the output of the installation of the GAs! Crucial evidence actually...
I attached the log of the GA install and an updated log for 6.06 from today. The GA install does not show much. Is there a 'verbose mode' or some other way to show more?
socratis wrote:But you're not in Full-screen mode!
I know this is not full screen mode. My intent was to show that VBox seems to recognize the resolutions supported by the display. In my older (working) snapshot I can go to this same setting and pick from any of the supported resolutions. I guess this additional information is not helpful.
socratis wrote:I wouldn't trust random blog ramblings compared to the proposed defaults. If they don't work, coming to the forums and checking for similar incidents is the best action...
Agreed but the settings resolved my issues and continue to work in my other VM's and older snapshots. I am still not able to get full screen working in the latest Lubuntu. The issue is not with the non-default settings. Seems that the default settings are now working and I've happily gone back to them. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

I've added a pic of the VM in full screen mode in case that helps. As you can see it is stuck at 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200.

Tony
Attachments
vbox_resize.jpg
vbox_resize.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
apr18_logs.zip
(31.21 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

I got full screen working today. More digging online and changed the VBox graphics controller to VMSVGA.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Figured I'd update this thread.
Have since updated to 6.08 and multiple Lubuntu updates.
Today I went through the display options again with the same outcome.
The only graphics controller that will work in full screen is VMSVGA, none of the others let me go full screen.
This works fine except that my mouse is very laggy for some reason (has always been so with VMSVGA).
Ideally I could have a responsive mouse and full screen.
Tony
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the update Tony. Maybe with 6.0.10? Let's hope...