GUI unavailable in 2.0.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dramaley

GUI unavailable in 2.0.4

Post by dramaley »

Hello. I'm running Debian Lenny amd64 as my host OS. Since upgrading from VirtualBox 2.0.0 to 2.0.4 the GUI does not work. If i run "VirtualBox" nothing ever displays. I can start my VM that contains a 32-bit XP installation by running "VirtualBox -startvm 'Windows XP'". However, if i click on any buttons that are part of VirtualBox's interface, it locks up. By "locks up" i mean that the interface becomes unresponsive, the guest OS is frozen, but VirtualBox consumes CPU time and consumes RAM at a rate of about 5 MB/minute. If i just let it spiral out of control for as long as it cares to, eventually it closes and i get a message copied to 3 places, dmesg, /var/log/messages, and /var/log/syslog. That message is:

Code: Select all

[15860.885258] VirtualBox[8336]: segfault at 7fff9155bfe8 ip 7fc587117f54 sp 7fff9155bff0 error 6 in libQtCore.so.4.4.3[7fc58706b000+230000]
Is there anything i can do to fix or work around this, besides downgrading?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

You could try to see if there is an update for your Qt packages. Else, open a bug report as mentioned in the VirtualBox FAQ. You need a separate account for the bug tracker though.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
dramaley

Post by dramaley »

I was mistaken in my original question--i didn't upgrade from 2.0.0 to 2.0.4, i upgraded from 1.6.x. All of the 2.0 series doesn't work on Debian: i tried both 2.0.0 and 2.0.2 and they have the same problem. I guess i'll have to file a bug report then.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

dramaley wrote:I was mistaken in my original question--i didn't upgrade from 2.0.0 to 2.0.4, i upgraded from 1.6.x. All of the 2.0 series doesn't work on Debian: i tried both 2.0.0 and 2.0.2 and they have the same problem. I guess i'll have to file a bug report then.
If it's with all the 2.0.x packages, then it's not a VB bug, it's a limitation in Debian. Since 2.0, it's been rewritten for new Qt libraries, and it seems that your Debian version does not have them.
Taken from the Changelog of 2.0.0:
The GUI was converted from Qt3 to Qt4 with many visual improvements
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

dramaley

Post by dramaley »

Sasquatch wrote:If it's with all the 2.0.x packages, then it's not a VB bug, it's a limitation in Debian. Since 2.0, it's been rewritten for new Qt libraries, and it seems that your Debian version does not have them.
Of course Debian has the QT 4 libraries. And i have them installed. I installed VB using the Debian packages provided by VB, so if the packages were built correctly, they already depend on whatever libraries VB needs.

Whether the bug is in VB itself, or just in the way it was packaged, i'm thinking i should file a bug report. Thanks for your responses.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

You did install the 64 bit version of VB, and of the Qt libraries, right? Of course you did, it's a 64 bit Host, so why would it select 32 bit packages for those. Just check, ok?

dramaley

Post by dramaley »

Sasquatch wrote:You did install the 64 bit version of VB, and of the Qt libraries, right? Of course you did, it's a 64 bit Host, so why would it select 32 bit packages for those. Just check, ok?
I hadn't thought of that. I did check, and all the packages installed on my system with "qt4" somewhere in their name are amd64, except for one related to python that was "all" (aka, architecture agnostic). The VB 2.0.x packages i installed were amd64 also. The VB 1.6.x packages that work perfectly are amd64.