[WorksForMe] No sound in any of my guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Siracuse

[WorksForMe] No sound in any of my guests

Post by Siracuse »

Hello!

Since I began to use VB on my Mac, I've never hear any sound, neither system sound or music. I've installed Win XP, Win 7, and now I've two machines: Win 10 and Ubuntu.

I've look for help on the internet and I've installed the drivers for AC97 soundcard, I think I've made all the possible to hear any sound from my guest machines.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

Siracuse
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2019, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No sound in any of my guests

Post by socratis »

Siracuse wrote:I've installed the drivers for AC97 soundcard
The default sound card for a particular VM is chosen so that you don't have to install any drivers at all, you don't have to deal with it. So, rule #1: stick with the defaults.

Rule #2: make sure the sound card is detected in your guest. Since you mentioned several guests, I can't give you specific instructions.

Rule #3: simplify your host's audio setup to the bare minimum. To that effect, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LotusSound

Post by LotusSound »

I have a very similar problem. Here is the vbox.log This is from my newest iMac (2017) High Sierra 10.13.6 with Virtualbox 6.0.6 and a Centos 7 guest which is up to date.
Attachments
Centos7-New-2019-04-20-23-56-26.log.zip
(26.74 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@LotusSound
[color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:Rule #3: simplify your host's audio setup to the bare minimum
[quote=""VBox.log""]
00:00:01.915570 Audio: Device 'Steinberg UR22mkII ':
00:00:01.915572 Audio: 	Usage           = Duplex
00:00:01.915574 Audio: 	Flags           = NONE
00:00:01.915576 Audio: 	Input channels  = 2
00:00:01.915578 Audio: 	Output channels = 2
[/quote]
Get rid of that Steinberg device. Try again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LotusSound

Post by LotusSound »

@socratis

Sorry ... I removed the Steinburg ... Here is the logs:
Attachments
Centos7-New-2019-04-21-15-06-56.log.zip
(26.71 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
LotusSound

Post by LotusSound »

My problems seem to have cleared up with the last update. I'm not sure but I think it was something in the guest additions
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Given that there are no changes, I'll mark this as a [WorksForMe].
Olli Kay

Re: [WorksForMe] No sound in any of my guests

Post by Olli Kay »

Hello, i have the same Problem with no Audio .........

The Log is attached. I have no idea how to fix the problem....

Thx for helping
Attachments
macOS Catalina-2019-12-17-13-20-29.zip
Logfile compromized because to big
(32.62 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [WorksForMe] No sound in any of my guests

Post by socratis »

Olli Kay,

OSX Guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). I recently made the "OSX guests on non-Apple hardware" a Global post, which means it shows as first on every forum area, makes me wonder how come you missed it... :roll:

Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this issue on these forums (all of them locked, hoping that someone will get the hint), but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.