Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest (#18373)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
gwiesenekker
Primary OS: Fedora 10
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Fedora

Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest (#18373)

Post by gwiesenekker »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18373: Multiple copies of shared folders
Hi,

I am running Virtualbox 6.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04.1. I have mapped two shared folders to my Windows 10 guest as fixed drive letters E: and F:.After some time (not reproducible, it can happen after one hour but also after a day) the shared folders also show up as Y: and Z: drives. Sometimes I can still access the files residing in the shared folders through all drive letters, but sometimes I get access denied on all drive letters and have to reboot.

Anyone else seen this?

Regards,
Gijsbert
Last edited by socratis on 5. Feb 2019, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

gwiesenekker wrote:Anyone else seen this?
There have been a couple of scattered reports/mentions here and there, but nothing definitive or reproducible...

Since I believe that this shows up on "Windows Guests", I'm moving your post there, from the "Linux Hosts" section. The problem is on the guest...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gwiesenekker

Re: Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest

Post by gwiesenekker »

BTW, this started after the upgrade to Virtualbox 6.0.2, so I guess this is version 6 related.

Regards,
Gijsbert
gwiesenekker

Post by gwiesenekker »

I just resumed the VM. As it happened Explorer was open in the suspended VM and I noticed the Z: drive appear after the resume, so it seems suspend/resume related. I have the following errors in the log:

00:00:06.716615 VMMDev: Guest Log: 10:49:50.241189 automount Error: vbsvcAutomounterMountIt: Failed to attach 'Tresorit' to 'F:': 0
00:00:06.718551 VMMDev: Guest Log: 10:49:50.241189 automount vbsvcAutomounterMountIt: Successfully mounted 'Downloads' on 'Z:'
00:00:06.718700 VMMDev: Guest Log: 10:49:50.241189 automount Error: vbsvcAutomounterMountIt: Failed to attach 'Tresorit' to 'F:': 0

Downloads was mounted on E: and Tresorit on F: when I suspend the VM. Strangely, although the error is reported on the F: drive it is mounted and accessible after resume. Downloads is now mounted both on the E: and Z: drives.

Regards,
Gijsbert
gwiesenekker

Post by gwiesenekker »

Hi,

As bookevg mentioned, when I browse \\VBOXSVR I also noticed multiple copies (8) of the shared folders. As the issue seems suspend/resume related I shutdown the VM, rebooted and the shared folders were only shown once. After a suspend/resume the shared folders are shown twice, after another suspend/resume the shared folders are shown thrice etc. As this is now reproducible I will open a ticket.

Regards,
Gijsbert
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@gwiesenekker: That looks like excellent detective work, thank you. I'm sure the devs will like it too.

I see you already raised the ticket. Could you please add a zipped log showing the problem and a link to this topic?
bookevg

Post by bookevg »

I can repeat the issue always.
1. Power on the guest OS.
2. The guest OS have one set of duplicate folders and work well.
3. Save the machine state of the guest OS.
4. Start from saving the machine state of the guest OS.
5. The guest OS have two sets of duplicate folders and have access to it.
6. Save the machine state of the guest OS.
7. Start from saving the machine state of the guest OS.
8. The guest OS have three sets of duplicate folders and haven't access to it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can someone downgrade to 6.0.0 and test this, so that we'll know for sure that the issue started with 6.0.2?

EDIT
Never mind, I found the answer on the thread "shared folders and VirtualBox 6.x" where the OP (bookevg) said that this issue was with since 6.0.0 beta.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest (#18373)

Post by socratis »

That's what I said bookevg, that you were the first to report the issue with the 6beta. Now we've moved from that ;)
BabboNakele

Re: Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest (#18373)

Post by BabboNakele »

Hi everyone.

I see that this issue was last updated 20 days ago. Any news? Anyone knows if it is in working state?
Because the impossibility to save the machine state and reopen it is a big problem.

I also had to downgrade to version 5.2 to have Virtualbox working again.

My setup is Linux host, Windows guest.
With 6.0.4 (last time I tried) it was necessary to shut down the virtual machine and start it again in order to use it again.
Reboot of Windows guest is not enough. Windows still gets multiple copies of shared folders. Always.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

BabboNakele wrote:Any news? Anyone knows if it is in working state?
The devs, generally speaking, don't tell us what they are working on and when there are going to be releases. You could always take a look at the latest Test Builds and development snapshots (from the bottom of the same page) to see if there has been any improvement.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
bookevg

Post by bookevg »

The issue was gone. I noticed by using 6.0.5 r129797 (Qt5.6.2). Now I can try to test VirtualBox-6.0.6-130049.