Compilation error on F29 with 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
egreshko
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora, Win2k Server, Vista, WinXP

Compilation error on F29 with 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64

Post by egreshko »

ModEdit; split from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92658
Are you saying that this is not a problem?

Code: Select all

[egreshko@f29bg log]$ cat vboxadd-setup.log
Building the main Guest Additions module for kernel 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64.
Building the shared folder support module.
Error building the module.  Build output follows.
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j1 modules
Makefile:207: ================= WARNING ================
Makefile:208: 'SUBDIRS' will be removed after Linux 5.3
Makefile:209: Please use 'M=' or 'KBUILD_EXTMOD' instead
Makefile:210: ==========================================
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (          \
echo >&2;                                                       \
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";           \
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";\
echo >&2 ;                                                      \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vfsmod.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/8/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-int-in-bool-context -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fvar-tracking-assignments -g -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -fno-strict-overflow -fno-merge-all-constants -fmerge-constants -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Wno-declaration-after-statement -fshort-wchar -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/VBoxGuestMangling.h -fno-pie -I/lib/modules/5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxsf/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxsf/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxsf/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_NO_EXPORT_SYMBOL -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"vfsmod"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxsf"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c: In function ‘sf_read_super_aux’:
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: error: ‘MS_REMOUNT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘DT_RELCOUNT’?
  if (flags & MS_REMOUNT) {
              ^~~~~~~~~~
              DT_RELCOUNT
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:277: /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1580: _module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:106: vboxsf] Error 2
Last edited by socratis on 16. Apr 2019, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install Guest Additions Error

Post by socratis »

egreshko wrote:Are you saying that this is not a problem?
I spoke specifically (and gave a quoted explanation) on the "modprobe vboxsf failed" message. Are you having a "modprobe vboxsf failed" error? No, you don't. Then, how can I possibly have said that what you are seeing is not a problem?
egreshko wrote:
Building the main Guest Additions module for kernel 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64.
That's really new. The only changes I've seen so far are up to 5.0.3. Haven't seen anything specific to 5.0.7 yet. Where did you get it, where did it come from?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
egreshko

Post by egreshko »

The output I posted was from the log of an attempted install of the Guest Additions. And, yes, there is a failed modprobe.

Code: Select all

[root@f29bg VBox_GAs_6.0.4]# ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.0.4 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 6.0.4 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel 
modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 
5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64.

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log to find out what 
went wrong
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until 
the system is restarted
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: modprobe vboxsf failed
The above is from an attempt to build and install them on an F29 Guest. So, the attempt is the same as that of the OP's. The resulting log is as I've shown. So, I believe the problem I'm seeing is exactly the same as that of the OP. Notice the output of the attempt to build tells one to look in the log I've posted. So, that is where it "came from".

(Apologies for not being proficient in using html editing)
Last edited by socratis on 16. Apr 2019, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
egreshko

Post by egreshko »

FYI, the problem appears fixed in the 6.0.5 Guest Additions iso.

The "test" version can be downloaded from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

It fixed the issue on Fedora 29 Guest system, for me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

egreshko wrote: And, yes, there is a failed modprobe.
Among other things. The "modprobe" was not your main problem, the error that I highlighted was.
egreshko wrote:Apologies for not being proficient in using html editing
That's why I'm here for! Do not worry about that, at all! :)
egreshko wrote:FYI, the problem appears fixed in the 6.0.5 Guest Additions iso.
Great! That's good to know, it means that the developers were "hard at work"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.