Fedora 29 Guest on Windows 10 Host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
-];x3eiscc{z4nGh

Fedora 29 Guest on Windows 10 Host

Post by -];x3eiscc{z4nGh »

I just installed Fedora 29 from Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-29-1.2.iso. I selected a "Development and Creative Workstation" with development tools for C.

This is within a VM on a WIndows 10 host using VirtualBox 6.0.4 (latest version).

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the virtualbox guest additions were already installed:

Code: Select all

[cstankevitz@localhost ~]$ dnf list installed | grep -i virtualbox
virtualbox-guest-additions.x86_64                 6.0.4-2.fc29                           @updates
Furthermore, mouse integration is enabled -- which according to Virtualbox only happens when the guest additions are installed.

But Auto-resize Guest Display is unavailable (implying that the guest additions are not installed):

(see attached image)

Virtualbox's "manually installed" guest additions discourage me from continuing because dnf already installed them:

[cstankevitz@localhost VBox_GAs_6.0.4]$ sudo  ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.0.4 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
This system appears to have a version of the VirtualBox Guest Additions
already installed.  If it is part of the operating system and kept up-to-date,
there is most likely no need to replace it.  If it is not up-to-date, you
should get a notification when you start the system.  If you wish to replace
it with this version, please do not continue with this installation now, but
instead remove the current version first, following the instructions for the
operating system.

If your system simply has the remains of a version of the Additions you could
not remove you should probably continue now, and these will be removed during
installation.

Do you wish to continue? [yes or no]
How do I enable resizing of the window within Fedora 29 running within virtualbox 6.0.4 on a Windows 10 host?

Thanks,

Chris
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
ss.png (84.17 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Fedora 29 Guest on Windows 10 Host

Post by socratis »

-];x3eiscc{z4nGh wrote:Virtualbox's "manually installed" guest additions discourage me from continuing because dnf already installed them:
It warns you. You should remove the forked GAs (that's what they are actually) and then install the GAs that come with your VirtualBox installation, via the menu Devices » Insert GAs ISO image...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
-];x3eiscc{z4nGh

Should I disregard Virtualbox's suggestion:
This system appears to have a version of the VirtualBox Guest Additions
already installed. If it is part of the operating system and kept up-to-date,
there is most likely no need to replace it. If it is not up-to-date, you
should get a notification when you start the system.
This is an up-to-date version of the GAs:

virtualbox-guest-additions.x86_64                 6.0.4-2.fc29
Chris
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

[color=#105289]-];x3eiscc{z4nGh[/color] wrote:Should I disregard Virtualbox's suggestion:
Yes, I already told you...
[color=#105289]-];x3eiscc{z4nGh[/color] wrote:This is an up-to-date version of the GAs:
[color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:This is an up-to-date version of the forked GAs
There, I fixed it for you... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leop

Post by leop »

It appears that Guest Additions 6.0.4 will not install on the latest version of Fedora 29 (as a guest on a WIndows 10 host). It appears that the problem is with shared folders and the kernel version 5 or later. I understand this is a known problem ( I have this problem with my system and the 6.0.4 Guest Additions will no longer install on an up to date Fedora 29 system). One may be stuck with the Fedora Guest Additions at this time. Since the problem is said to be fixed with the latest test builds, I expect the issue is solved with the next Virtualbox update.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leop wrote:... kernel version 5 or later ... problem is said to be fixed with the latest test builds
Correct. It's been more than two months since the last release, 6.0.4, is out, and there's a lot going on, so you should download the latest 6.0.x test builds and use that, until the next official release.
-];x3eiscc{z4nGh

It keeps getting better -- thanks leop.
ffilz

Post by ffilz »

I'm running into a similar problem. Is there a reasonable workaround? It's not quite clear to me from the description above.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Excuse me ffilz, which part is not clear? You need to clarify which part is not clear to you...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. That last poster is suspiciously non-specific (bot-like).
ffilz

Post by ffilz »

Sorry, not a bot here... Just a real user who is a bit frustrated having spent most of the week struggling with this... Sorry for the terseness of the original post...

I have been running a Fedora 23 VM for a long time... I've migrated the VM from a Windows 8 host to a Windows 10 host...

I wanted to upgrade to Fedora 29. I ended up upgrading to Virtual Box 6.0.4.

The Fedora 23 VM came up just fine after the upgrade to 6.0.4 without any update of the Guest Additions (well, ok, after a little bit, it crashed, but on reboot seems ok... Do I need/should I update the Guest Additions?).

When I install the Fedora 29, the install process works fine in a maximized window on the host, but when it comes up and I log in to a user account it ends up appearing to lock up. I've rebuilt the VM and re-installed Fedora multiple times. There have been times everything came up just fine, but the guest display was limited to 640x480. I really don't remember everything I've tried... Along the way I tried installing/building the latest Guest Additions only to have the build fail for what looked like a name change of a #define constant (symbol name in all caps, sorry, I didn't capture the compile error...).

So what I'm looking for is a simple recipe to set up a VB 6.0.4 VM running Fedora 29 where I can maximize my guest window (Laptop screen is 1920x1080).

Thanks

Frank
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ffilz wrote:Sorry, not a bot here... Just a real user
You barely escaped Quarantine! :D
ffilz wrote:So what I'm looking for is a simple recipe to set up a VB 6.0.4 VM running Fedora 29 where I can maximize my guest window (Laptop screen is 1920x1080).
Start from scratch, not with 6.0.4, but with the 6.0.x test builds, because they contain fixes for Fedora 29. That's I think the biggest problem that you're facing...

Continue as you would with any normal VM installation. Keep the VM in windowed-mode (not full-screen mode) until you've successfully installed the (test build) GAs that come bundled with your main VirtualBox:
With the VM window having the focus, go to the host's menu "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...". If not prompted by auto-run, run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" from the CD. Make sure there are no errors or suggestions during the install. You can safely ignore the "modprobe vboxsf" one.
ffilz

Post by ffilz »

OK, THAT didn't work...

I installed the lasted test build and got this when I tried to start a VM:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.81 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Classical not properly installed VirtualBox...
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
ffilz

Post by ffilz »

What drives the need to uninstall anti-virus? I'm sorry, that makes me really suspicious.

Otherwise, I tried uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. Still got the same error.

I've backed off to 5.26, but that doesn't let me make any progress with Fedora 29 at all.

Frank