[Fixed] Virtualbox 5 and 6 wake Windows 10 from standby mode (#18549)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
blubbb

[Fixed] Virtualbox 5 and 6 wake Windows 10 from standby mode (#18549)

Post by blubbb »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18549: Windows host wakes from standby mode constantly => Fixed in SVN
Hi,

after upgrading to Windows 10 I noticed that Virtualbox wakes the system from standby mode after few(!) seconds to minutes. I tried both versions 5 and 6.

My questions:
Why is it waking Windows? It does not make sense to me.
How do I disable this behaviour of Virtualbox?

Note that I need wake timers for other purposes, so I cannot disable them system wide.

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 10. Apr 2019, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox 5 and 6 wake Windows 10 from standby mode

Post by socratis »

blubbb wrote:Why is it waking Windows? It does not make sense to me.
Because a "computer" is running? Your VM?
blubbb wrote:How do I disable this behaviour of Virtualbox?
Shut down the VM. It's not a good idea to put a VM to sleep...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
blubbb

Post by blubbb »

Our old installation had no problems with the vm in the background while sleeping. Why should this be the case anyway? It is as if just pausing it.

And with the default settings in Windows, wakeups do not work at all! Neither for Vbox nor for other programs. So my guess is, 99% of the users do not end their vms before putting the host to sleep. It just continues to "work" in the background.

Looks like a bug to me.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

blubbb wrote:after upgrading to Windows 10
After upgrading what - host or guest?
blubbb wrote:Looks like a bug to me.
As Windows 10 is the most common (probably) host and guest used with VirtualBox if this was a bug then there would likely be many more reports of the problem. As there aren't for the time being it is classified as "an isolated incident with a single user that needs further investigation". Less snappy than "bug" but more accurate! :)

We are going to need a much better description of your setup, how the problem manifests itself, anything that can be done to provoke it, etc.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
blubbb

Post by blubbb »

Host: Windows 10 Pro 64
Guest: Ubuntu 16 LTS

Steps to reproduce problem:
- In Windows' power options / sleep / allow wake timers / set this to "enable" (I would link to an image but the forum does not permit this)
- Start guest system
- Hit sleep button on host system

Problem:
- The host wakes up after a few seconds/minutes.

Execute
powercfg /lastwake
You will see that VBoxSVC.exe was the cause.
blubbb

Post by blubbb »

We need to set this to "enable" to use our other wake timers on the host system.
Attachments
a.png
a.png (23.22 KiB) Viewed 8846 times
blubbb

Post by blubbb »

I know a bit or two about the WinAPI and browsed through your source code. The problem most probably is here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox ... n.cpp#L192

Line 192. You are calling SetWaitableTimer with last parameter true. The last parameter is whether or not to resume the system. This results exactly in the described behaviour.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... tabletimer
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

IMHO, this kind of information would be better placed in a BugTracker ticket where the devs are likely to see it, rather than a user level discussion topic.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Fixed] Virtualbox 5 and 6 wake Windows 10 from standby mode (#18549)

Post by socratis »

Added ticket information and marked as [Fixed], as per the resolution of ticket #18549.

Excellent work there @blubbb!!! 8)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.