Boot failed. mac OSX

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
saltied

Boot failed. mac OSX

Post by saltied »

hi

After installing 10.13.6 boot fails with the error above and it loops into the OSX Installer again.
Settings are as I've found online (processors = 2, RAM 4gb, 128mb vram, floppy disabled).
The virtual drive is set as per the guided mode default, but its not seen by the OSX installer until I format it in Disk Utility (tried APFS and Mac os Extended Journaled).
Maybe there's another setting but I can't figure it out.

OSX-2019-04-02-10-31-31.log.zip
Last edited by mpack on 2. Apr 2019, 15:06, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Deleted duplicate log file.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Boot failed. mac OSX

Post by andyp73 »

You are going to need to be more descriptive in explaining the situation as you find it as we aren't sat in front of your computer and so only know what you tell us. What is your host OS and its version? Has the guest created a VBox.log file? If so, can you zip it and attach it to the thread?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
saltied

Post by saltied »

Sorry, yes I'm just about to upload the log file, wasn't expecting such a quick response, so thanks for that!

Host is OSX 10.13.6 (17G5019), 40gb RAM
OSX-2019-04-02-10-31-31.log.zip
(29.9 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.096022 File system of '/Users/simon/Downloads/Install macOS High Sierra.iso' (DVD) is hfs
How did you create that ISO?

Have you read the "[HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM" thread?

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
saltied

Post by saltied »

Damn, I did a search for "Boot failed OSX" but that post didn't appear there. Will take a look. I tried a number of different installer ISOs, that one was from apple's servers then converted to .iso (.cdr) I think.

Did the boot manager thing, selected efi, now its installing properly

thx.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

saltied wrote:I tried a number of different installer ISOs, that one was from apple's servers then converted to .iso (.cdr) I think.
"You think"? :)

Here's another post you might have missed: [HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app. Both of them are "stickies" (i.e. on the top) in the Mac OS X Guests section of the forums.

Let me know if the procedure was successful or not...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.