Guest additions fail to run.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

Guest additions fail to run.

Postby gijsv » 26. Mar 2019, 11:44

Host: 4.19.30-1-MANJARO
Guest: Fedora 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64
Virtualbox: VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.0.4 r128164

When trying to install the guest additions "VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.4.iso" in a Fedora 29 host with kernel 5.0, on a Manjaro 4.18 host. It fails with error:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.0.4 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 6.0.4 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel
modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel
5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64.

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log to find out what
went wrong
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until
the system is restarted
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: modprobe vboxsf failed

The log contains the following error, it looks like MS_REMOUNT is undeclared.

Building the main Guest Additions module for kernel 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64.
Building the shared folder support module.
Error building the module.  Build output follows.
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j1 modules
Makefile:189: ================= WARNING ================
Makefile:190: 'SUBDIRS' will be removed after Linux 5.3
Makefile:191: Please use 'M=' or 'KBUILD_EXTMOD' instead
Makefile:192: ==========================================
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (      \
echo >&2;                     \
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";      \
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";   \
echo >&2 ;                     \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vfsmod.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/8/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-int-in-bool-context -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fvar-tracking-assignments -g -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -fno-strict-overflow -fno-merge-all-constants -fmerge-constants -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Wno-declaration-after-statement -fshort-wchar -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/VBoxGuestMangling.h -fno-pie -I/lib/modules/5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxsf/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxsf/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxsf/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_NO_EXPORT_SYMBOL -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"vfsmod"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxsf"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c: In function ‘sf_read_super_aux’:
[b]/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: error: ‘MS_REMOUNT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘DT_RELCOUNT’?[/b]
  if (flags & MS_REMOUNT) {
              ^~~~~~~~~~
              DT_RELCOUNT
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:277: /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1557: _module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:106: vboxsf] Error 2

Any help on solving the issue would be much appreciated, as I need file sharing for this project.
gijsv

Re: Guest additions fail to run.

Postby socratis » 26. Mar 2019, 11:49

gijsv wrote:
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64.

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. Try the latest test builds, they contain the fix.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby mturk » 26. Mar 2019, 12:15

socratis wrote:
gijsv wrote:
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64.

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. Try the latest test build they contain the fix.

Latest test build (VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.5-129561.iso) gives pretty much the same error on 5.0.3-200 kernel

/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: error: ‘MS_REMOUNT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘DT_RELCOUNT’?
  if (flags & MS_REMOUNT) {
              ^~~~~~~~~~
              DT_RELCOUNT
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:277: /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o] Error 1
mturk

Postby gijsv » 26. Mar 2019, 12:45

Unfortunately the newest build 6.0.5 downloaded directly from the site gives the same exact error.
gijsv

Postby andyp73 » 26. Mar 2019, 12:56

I've just had a look at the guest addition sources from the .iso included in test build 6.0.5 r129563 and the fix that is in the svn repository doesn't appear to be included. Let me see if the devs are around on IRC and see what they say.

In the short term you can make the change to /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-6.0.5/src/vboxguest-6.0.5/vboxsf/vfsmod.h and make the #include read:

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5, 0, 0)
    # include <uapi/linux/mount.h> /* for MS_REMOUNT */
#elif LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(3, 3, 0)
   # include <linux/mount.h>
#endif

From the directory /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-6.0.5/src/vboxguest-6.0.5 run "make" and then "make install".

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
andyp73
Volunteer

Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Postby andyp73 » 26. Mar 2019, 15:28

The devs have worked their magic and there are new Test Builds available that include guest additions that should compile on all kernels later than 5.0.0. For VirtualBox 6.0 you need r129577 and later and for 5.2 it is r129578 and later.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
andyp73
Volunteer

Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Postby gijsv » 26. Mar 2019, 15:38

I see, great on the reaction speed. I got it working with the include addition in the vfsmod.h, thanks for the fast support!
gijsv

Postby mturk » 26. Mar 2019, 16:33

Cool, VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.5-129577.iso test build compiles for 5.0.x kernel.

[mturk ~]$ cat /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log
Building the main Guest Additions module for kernel 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64.
Building the shared folder support module.
Building the graphics driver module.

Thanks
mturk

Return to Linux Guests