No 3D Accel on Suse Leap 15 on VBox6

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
nfolken

No 3D Accel on Suse Leap 15 on VBox6

Post by nfolken »

First off, I'd like to suggest that there should be a sticky post saying that the documentation is wrong, and that Linux Guests should be using VMSVGA, not VBoxSVGA. I had avoided VMSVGA for a long time due to what the current documentation says, but it is actually what has been giving me the best performance.

I run an OpenSUSE Leap 15 KDE guest on a MacOS Mojave Host, and when I upgraded from VirtualBox 5 to 6 I noticed a hit in video performance (videos on firefox really struggled). I had been using the SUSE repo version of Guest Additions, so I uninstalled them and compiled the latest version. VBoxSVGA (the controller the documentation says to use) wouldn't resize the window, and all of the graphics controllers didn't work with 3D enabled. They would partially boot, but I would only get a black screen with a KDE cursor, and sometimes I would get a little window with the error "could not start kdeinit5".

I realize they are still working on this new graphics controller, but the old controller also doesn't work with 3D, which seems odd.

I've attached a log from when I run VMSVGA with 3D enabled.
Attachments
openSUSE Leap-2019-03-15-22-10-02.log.zip
(38.56 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No 3D Accel on Suse Leap 15 on VBox6

Post by mpack »

And we already have sticky topics for discussing problems with the new 6.0.x releases. Perhaps you should look at them.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No 3D Accel on Suse Leap 15 on VBox6

Post by socratis »

nfolken wrote:First off, I'd like to suggest that there should be a sticky post saying that the documentation is wrong, and that Linux Guests should be using VMSVGA, not VBoxSVGA.
I'm afraid that this is one that slipped through the cracks unfortunatelly. I noticed that the documentation is wrong and notified the developers, but it hasn't been fixed yet as of this writing. :?

But on the other hand, nobody bothered to file a ticket against it, that's why it's not in the "Known Issues" section of the release notes.

Plus almost no one read the stickies... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.