VB6.0: "Protocol error" on shared files after saving machine start and host restart

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Dodge62

VB6.0: "Protocol error" on shared files after saving machine start and host restart

Post by Dodge62 »

I have two shares:
C:\Users\raford -> shared as 'raford'
C:\Users\raford\Dropbox -> shared as 'Dropbox'

I can mount both of these successfully and access them after a clean start of the VM. However if I suspend the VM ("save the machine state") an reboot the host, more often than not I cannot access the shares:

Code: Select all

[oracle@localhost ~]$ groups
oracle wheel vboxsf dba
[oracle@localhost ~]$ ls /mnt/raford
[oracle@localhost ~]$ ls /mnt/Dropbox
ls: cannot access /mnt/Dropbox: Protocol error
[oracle@localhost ~]$ sudo mount -t vboxsf raford /mnt/raford
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
[oracle@localhost ~]$ sudo mount -t vboxsf Dropbox /mnt/Dropbox
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
Note that the first share appears to be empty, whereas the second gives me a protocol error on access. Both give protocol errors when attempting to remount them.

Host is Windows 10 64 bit (16 GB memory)
Guest is Oracle Linux 7.6 64 bit (8 GB memory)
VBox version is 6.0.4 r128413
Guest additions are installed
Log attached.
Attachments
Oracle Linux 7.6 DB Machine with 19.2-2019-03-14-09-21-00.log
(89.35 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Dodge62

Re: VB6.0: "Protocol error" on shared files after saving machine start and host restart

Post by Dodge62 »

I'm not sure if jamespr's post was related to mine or not.

This problem is happening repeatedly, and it's getting frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB6.0: "Protocol error" on shared files after saving machine start and host restart

Post by mpack »

I deleted "jamespr's" off topic (hijacking) post.

No, I have no idea what is going on... and I have no idea why a question about an OEL guest is being asked in the "Windows Guests" forum either - that could explain the lack of responses.

I'll move the topic to "Linux Guests". You might want to enable "Automount" in the VM settings btw, as I have a vague memory of that being a problem with some Linux guests.

Otherwise if the problem is fully repeatable then it sounds like a candidate for a BugTracker ticket.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Otherwise if the problem is fully repeatable then it sounds like a candidate for a BugTracker ticket.
Done already... ;)
Dodge62 wrote:if I suspend the VM ("save the machine state") an reboot the host, more often than not I cannot access the shares
Take a look at the Known Issues in the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" post.

What you're seeing is most probably the result of ticket #18220: Automount of shared folder does not work when saved state is restored.

Current workaround: don't use saved states.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.