NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057) when trying to re-install Kali

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
networkdummy

NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057) when trying to re-install Kali

Post by networkdummy »

My Kali VM was acting wonky, I guess it was due to having multiple VMs open and having low ram, either way, I decided to force close a few times because it was freezing. I also wanted to increase the size of the disk because certain frameworks wouldn't run properly with the size that initially came with Kali in which I successful in increasing. I only add that because I don't know if that is what contributed to my issue.

I couldn't take how weird it was acting so I decided to completely remove Kali and all the files that came with it by going into the Library folder of my mac to do so. Even after all of this, when I try to reinstall it, I get the error message "NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057). Failed to import appliance [path]/kali.ova"

I have deleted VB to see if that the issue and have tried to remove any files, both Kali and VB, to see if that may be causing the issue but I've gotten nothing.

Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. I've searched online for hours but haven't been able to find a clear answer to the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057) when trying to re-install Kali

Post by socratis »

networkdummy wrote:by going into the Library folder of my mac to do so
What exactly were you doing in the Library of your host? And are we talking "~/Library", "/Library", or "/System/Library"? In any of the cases that was the wrong place to be looking for and/or cleaning up. Can you remember what you did in there?
networkdummy wrote:Failed to import appliance [path]/kali.ova"
Aha! So, you're not installing Kali, you're importing a pre-made Kali VM. Huge difference. Where did this VM come from? Why don't you do a proper Kali installation from scratch, from https://www.kali.org/downloads/?

You don't know what's in that VM, or how it was setup. It could be acting all funny, but we (nor you) would have a clue why. Only the person that created the OVA. My suggestion? Start from scratch. 15'-20' of installation time is not that much...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
deargle

Re: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057) when trying to re-install Kali

Post by deargle »

Hiya @networkdummy, any chance that you're in an infosec management class at Temple Uni? If so, I collaborate with your prof, and I made that kali .ova. I documented how I did so ~here~ g dangit oracle forums won't let me post links. But I have documentation and also a gist link to the ovf. Let me know.

You probably also need to deregister the virtual media from virtualbox before attempting reimport. May not get cleared on reinstall. On Windows, that would be `File > Virtual Media Manager > [old kali .vdi] > remove`.

And students in my class hit crazy problems with Kali when disk space on their physical mac ran out while using Kali.