Gelöst/Solved: Kein Internet/Netz für WIN7 als Gast in Linux-Host von Virtual Box

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
bherre

Gelöst/Solved: Kein Internet/Netz für WIN7 als Gast in Linux-Host von Virtual Box

Post by bherre »

« am: Heute um 19:07:13 »
ZitatÄndern
Hallo, nach einer Neu-Installation von VirtualBox in Linux Mint 19.1 für WIN7 als Gast gibt es kein Netz/Internet, obwohl NAT eingestellt & aktiviert, Gasterweiterungen sind installiert.
"Keine Netzwerk-Hardware gefunden", "Keine Verbindungen verfügbar", Adaptertypen ohne Erfolg ausprobiert, Netzwerk eingeschaltet. Ich meine doch, alles richtig gemacht zu haben?! Sound funktioniert. Kann hier jemand helfen?
LG, Boy
Last edited by bherre on 13. Mar 2019, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kein Internet/Netz für WIN7 als Gast in Linux-Host von Virtual Box

Post by socratis »

[color=#BF6000]DeepL translator[/color] wrote: DE: Keine Netzwerk-Hardware gefunden", "Keine Verbindungen verfügbar", Adaptertypen ohne Erfolg ausprobiert, Netzwerk eingeschaltet.
EN: "No network hardware found", "No connections available", adapter types tried without success, network switched on.
Stick with the template defaults, don't start experimenting if you don't know what you're doing. Create a new VM and stick with the defaults, see if it fails.

If it does, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bherre

Post by bherre »

Hello and thanks a lot for answering!
Here comes the zipped log file:

Regards/LG, Boy
Attachments
WIN-7-2019-03-10-15-42-03.log.7z
(18.3 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

First, you are not using VirtualBox, you are using an unofficial third party build with unknown changes. That's called a fork, and we don't support forks here. Please purge, and install VirtualBox.
VirtualBox VM 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745 linux.amd64 (Dec 27 2018 00:41:57) release log
00:00:00.877040 VNC (Version: 5.2.18 r123745; VRDE Module: VBoxVNC)
00:00:00.877049 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.2.18 r124319; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
Despite not having the official software, you have the official extension pack. Please understand that we have no idea how well or even if the extension pack works with a fork, especially with one that already has a potentially conflicting extension pack installed.
00:00:00.894704 Guest OS type: 'Windows7'
00:00:01.004023 Name <string> = "WIN-7" (cb=6)
00:00:00.946869 File system of '/home/boy/VirtualBox VMs/WIN-7/WIN-XP.vdi' is ext4
Say what??
bherre

Post by bherre »

Hi,
this says that I had to install WIN-XP prior to installing WIN7 since my WIN7-Version is an update-version which installs only from within WIN-XP.
I don't recall where exactly I got VirtualBox, presumably from Linux-Mint source or maybe after having googled from some popular magazine site; of course there was no talk about forks.
Thank you for your enlightenment! I shall proceed as recommended and get back to you!
best regards, Boy
bherre

Post by bherre »

Hello & thanks for taking care.
After downloading & installing original VirtualBox 6.0.4 from Oracle plus Guest extensions 6.0.4 the previous described problem remains unchanged.
The network icon in WIN7 shows connection to cable LAN, but no connection is available (both NAT or Brücke).
I Attach the newly saved log.zip.
WIN-2019-03-10-20-22-12.log.7z
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Best Regards, LG, Boy
bherre

Post by bherre »

... hours later: now networking/internet works: I had to choose Adapter-Type "IntelPro/1000 MT Desktop 8254 OEM", and everything works fine so far (!). It seems to be of vital importance that guest-extensions an VirtualBox are same version!
Now I must find out how to access Printer (on fritzbox-USB) and Scanner (USB) on Host. Any recommendations?
best regards, LG, Boy
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

bherre wrote:since my WIN7-Version is an update-version which installs only from within WIN-XP.
? Unless I'm going nuts I don't remember that being an option. You could upgrade from Vista to Win7, but not XP to Win7. Still, if yours works then I guess I must be wrong.

Notes on terminology:
The host plugin pack is called the Extension Pack (that's the English name at least), and as the name implies it extends the functionality of the host software. The extension pack version must of course match the version of the host software it's intended for.

The Guest Additions are what we call the collection of drivers etc that we install in a guest OS in order to improve integration with VirtualBox: faster graphics, mouse integration, shared folders, drag and drop etc. There is no strict requirement that versions match, though of course certain GAs versions may have a bug, or a feature you want might be newer than your old GAs.
bherre

Post by bherre »

bherre wrote:since my WIN7-Version is an update-version which installs only from within WIN-XP.
? Unless I'm going nuts I don't remember that being an option. You could upgrade from Vista to Win7, but not XP to Win7. Still, if yours works then I guess I must be wrong.
This concerns a special Upgrade-Pack in Germany, the so-called 3x Upgrade Familiy Pack for 3 Computers for Special Price on Windows 7 Home Premium. This could not be installed stand-alone but only from within an existing Vista or WIN-XP; believe it or not.

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a difference between guest additions and extension pack. I was talking of the guest additions all the time (German: Gast-Erweiterungen), in order to make window scalable, use USB 2.0 etc. Guess I mixed it up. Anyway, VB works now properly, including networking, sound etc. I'm not sure whether I installed an extension pack in the first place. I'll find out.
The reason for these VB-activities was to be able to install/run OmnipagePro16-Software as well as WordPerfect-Office X3 (German Version) - for several reasons - which are incompatible with WIN10. I prefer not to be forced to concentrate on only one OS, though I mostly sympathize with Linux-Mint.
Best regards, LG, Boy
bherre

Re: Gelöst/Solved: Kein Internet/Netz für WIN7 als Gast in Linux-Host von Virtual Box

Post by bherre »

mpack wrote:First, you are not using VirtualBox, you are using an unofficial third party build with unknown changes. That's called a fork, and we don't support forks here. Please purge, and install VirtualBox.
This sounds very strange - since I got this version from the Linux-Mint repositories (Anwendungsverwaltung) which would mean that Mint distributes an unofficial third party build with unknown changes?! This seems to be hard to believe, don't you think?! Same with Guest-Additions and Extension-Pack (!) which were OK?!
Anyway, I got everything to work well now. Main problems were to find the right net adapter-type and the lacking group "vboxusers" plus the user entry in order to get the passthrough of all USB-devices working.
Thanks a lot again for taking care!
Best regards, Boy
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Gelöst/Solved: Kein Internet/Netz für WIN7 als Gast in Linux-Host von Virtual Box

Post by mpack »

bherre wrote:which would mean that Mint distributes an unofficial third party build with unknown changes?!
Yes, they distribute a fork. The changes will be known to them, which is why you should go to them if you want support with that version.
bherre

Post by bherre »

Aha?! OK. Since I followed your advice and installed an original version from Oracle there is no need any longer..., but good to know. Thank you!
LG, Boy