Can't boot Linux livecd in Windows host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
HunterZ

Can't boot Linux livecd in Windows host

Post by HunterZ »

Using VirtualBox 6 in Windows 10 Pro x64.

When trying to boot an Ubuntu MATE 18.04.2 x64 livecd ISO, I get a grey screen with a keyboard icon at the bottom for a few seconds. It then changes to a black screen with a flashing text cursor and stays there forever.

I want to install Linux in the VM, so I'm booting with a dynamic VDI hard disk image (max size 20GB) created via the new VM wizard.

I've tried all kinds of things:
  • Changing number of CPUs
  • Toggled PAE/NX
  • Uninstalled Hyper-V
  • Disabled 3D acceleration
  • Tried every graphics controller option
  • Toggled SSD mode for virtual hard disk
  • Disabled audio
I've attached a log file from a run.
Attachments
VBox.7z
(22.12 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
HunterZ

Re: Can't boot Linux livecd in Windows host

Post by HunterZ »

Update: Got it working. It was either that a second reboot was needed after uninstalling Hyper-V, or following the instructions in the thread "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" (sorry, can't post a link because of stupid forum rules).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't boot Linux livecd in Windows host

Post by socratis »

It seems that you had Hyper-V enabled, but it could be for a variety of reasons, most of which are described in the "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" FAQ that you used:
00:00:02.481132 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.562670 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
00:00:03.061571 Features
00:00:03.061571   Mnemonic - Description                                  = guest (host)
00:00:03.061615   HVP - Hypervisor Present (we're a guest)                = 1 (1)
You could tell if this was true from the status bar where the "slow" icon (Image) showed.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.