Prozessor - wie viele Cores darf man denn zuweisen?

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
FritzS
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, BSD

Prozessor - wie viele Cores darf man denn zuweisen?

Post by FritzS »

In meinem McBook Pro late 2008 ist ein Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz verbaut.
Wie viele Cores darf/soll man den maximal einer VM zuweisen?

Hintergrund - ich teste momentan OpenIndiana (free Solaris), das benötigt ziemlich laaaange zum Hochfahren, auch sonst seeehr laaaangsam.

TrueOS (FreeBSD), LinuxMint kommen mit einem Core locker aus, Windows 10 könnte auch einen Zweiten brauchen, ist aber nicht so langsam wie OpenIndiana

Als HD ist im Mac eine SSD eingebaut!

PS: Vom VMware Fusion weiß ich - verbaute Cores -1 - das meckert wenn man alle zuweist.

PPS: Soll ich in OpenIndiana die VirtualBox Solaris 'Guest Additions' überhaupt installieren? Funktionieren diese?
Nice greetings
Fritz
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Prozessor - wie viele Cores darf man denn zuweisen?

Post by socratis »

[color=#BF6000]DeepL translator[/color] wrote: DE: In meinem McBook Pro late 2008 ist ein Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz verbaut. Wie viele Cores darf/soll man den maximal einer VM zuweisen?
EN: My McBook Pro late 2008 has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz installed. What is the maximum number of cores that can/should be assigned to one VM?
According to the Mactracker, you have the 15" MacBookPro5,1 with the Intel Core 2 Duo P8600. According to Intel, this CPU has 2 cores with no hyper-threading. Therefore, you should be assigning 1 core to each VM.
[color=#BF6000]DeepL translator[/color] wrote: DE: ich teste momentan OpenIndiana (free Solaris), das benötigt ziemlich laaaange zum Hochfahren, auch sonst seeehr laaaangsam.
EN: I'm currently testing OpenIndiana (free Solaris), it needs quite a long time to boot, otherwise very slow.
Since for the last several years there have not been single-core offerings any more, most modern day OSes are going to have a hard time with 1 core only.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:most modern day OSes are going to have a hard time with 1 core only.
... also, people's perceptions of what is "normal performance" is colored by their experiences of modern multi core PCs. It used to be expected that if certain tasks were kicked off then you might as well go make a coffee, because the PC was going to be unusably laggy for the next little while.

Which is where my advice differs somewhat. If you had a 4 core host then the advice would be to assign 2 cores to the VM. But when the host only has 2 cores then there is simply no pain-free way to run a modern guest OS. You can assign 1 core to each, understanding that both may be laggy. Or you can assign 2 cores to the VM, understanding that bogging down one now boggs down the other too.
FritzS

Post by FritzS »

I need a brand new MacMini with 3,0 (3,2) GHz 6‑Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD - but I don't have an lotto win :D :o :roll:
Or I wait for the new MacPro and a one Million $ € win. :mrgreen:
Nice greetings
Fritz
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:It used to be expected that if certain tasks were kicked off then you might as well go make a coffee
Coffee and a smoke... that's how I became addicted actually, I blame it all on the 8086! :D
FritzS wrote:I need a brand new MacMini with 3,0 (3,2) GHz 6‑Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD
Make that 32 or 64 GB of RAM, and you're going to be much happier (and poorer)... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FritzS

Post by FritzS »

mpack wrote:
socratis wrote:most modern day OSes are going to have a hard time with 1 core only.
Which is where my advice differs somewhat. If you had a 4 core host then the advice would be to assign 2 cores to the VM. But when the host only has 2 cores then there is simply no pain-free way to run a modern guest OS. You can assign 1 core to each, understanding that both may be laggy. Or you can assign 2 cores to the VM, understanding that bogging down one now boggs down the other too.
Strangely, Linux Mint doesn't mind, is Linux so resource-saving?
TrueOS needs a bit more CPU line, then Windows 10.
OpenIndiana (free Solaris) needs the most.
Nice greetings
Fritz
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

FritzS wrote: Strangely, Linux Mint doesn't mind, is Linux so resource-saving?
Well of course, if the guest OS doesn't use any CPU then the allocation doesn't matter. So it all depends on what apps you run and how the guest OS behaves in general. Some guests are very "busy", thinking that user idle time is a chance to catch up on all that disk indexing that nobody asked for. Solaris in particular has (I understand) a fancy fault tolerant filesystem which sounds like it takes a lot of checking and maintenance.
Erika

Post by Erika »

Es wäre gut, wenn mal jemand das Englisch in Deutsch übersetzen würde mit Google-Translate.
Erika

Post by Erika »

Man kann generell alle Kerne der Box zuweisen, jedoch fehlen die dann den anderen Boxen und verlangsamen die anderen. Die Frage steht immer, wieviele Boxen man laufen hat. Wer wenig Ram hat, bekommt gerade mal 1-3 Boxen zum laufen, wer mehr hat schon 5-7. Ich hab 128GB Ram und kann 15 Boxen laufen lassen. Hab auch 16 Kerne. Ich gebe meist 1/4 der Kerne jeder Box. WinXP 3 , Win 7 4-6, ...