Slow processor error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
drs@dcneuro.net

Slow processor error

Post by drs@dcneuro.net »

I am trying to run dragon naturally speaking version 13 in windows 7 32 bit in virtual box on a mid 2011 iMac. I get an error message that it may not work well as the processor is insufficient. (I can post the actual error message tomorrow). I find this odd as macs are notoriously faster than windows machines, I would think the software would run better. I have a crazy amount of RAM on this machine too. Anyone doing this or have any thoughts on it? All versions are current and up to date. Running iOS high Sierra as Mojares will not install on a mid 2011 machine.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slow processor error

Post by socratis »

drs@dcneuro.net wrote:(I can post the actual error message tomorrow
Sure you can. You can't post links, that's all...
drs@dcneuro.net wrote:as macs are notoriously faster than windows machines
Not sure where you read that, but avoid that source of information in the future; that's the definition of bogus! Macs aren't "notoriously" faster than Win machines, they're not even "faster" sometimes. They do use the same components after all...
drs@dcneuro.net wrote:I would think the software would run better
Natively, maybe, maybe not, depending on the optimizations. But inside a VM? I wouldn't keep my hopes high.
drs@dcneuro.net wrote:mid 2011 iMac ... I have a crazy amount of RAM on this machine too.
You have either the 21.5" iMac12,1 or the 27" iMac12,2 both of which can take up to 32 GB, not from Apple, they were shipping with a max of 16 GB from Apple. I wouldn't call 16 GB crazy, it's rather the norm these days. My laptop has that much and it's not the most powerful in the world...

And speaking of specs, these iMacs came with an Intel Core i5 (2400S, 2500S) @ 2.5, 2.7 or 3.1 GHz, or a Core i7 (2600S) @ 2.8 or 3.4 GHz.

The "System Requirements for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13" shows what Dragon checks for (in theory).

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
drs@dcneuro.net

Actually I have 20Gb of RAM, I allocated 4 to Windows partition as this was the minimum requirement as per Nuance. Having said this, I haven't been able to reduplicate the error today as I haven't been able to use Dragon today as it locked me out trying to activate again, yet another bug from Nuance.
drs@dcneuro.net

Here is the screenshot of the error message in Dragon. Got it working again.
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 3.30.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 3.30.43 PM.png (21.22 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't think the instructions that I gave you were calling for a screenshot, they were calling for a log. And they're pretty specific and detailed for you to not being able to follow them to the "t". Please do...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
drs@dcneuro.net

MyVM-2019-03-08-10-01-53.log.zip
(26.01 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Here is the log file you requested.