Is Tiger supported in VBOX 6.0.2

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
esalvesen
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Different

Post by esalvesen »

Attachments
Mac OS X Tiger-2019-01-26-08-26-50.log.zip
(33.74 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
okiuss
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Re: Is Tiger supported in VBOX 6.0.2

Post by okiuss »

Yes, Tiger runs as 6.0.2 guest. Sometimes the VM hangs at the beginning of the boot process.
This was no fresh install, but an ancient VM from the beginning of my Virtualbox tests.

In 6.0.2 i had to tweak some CPU settings, but at the same time I moved all my VMs from
a 2009 iMac to a new iMac...

The present CPU settings are:
<CPU count="2" CpuProfile="Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz">
        <PAE enabled="true"/>
        <LongMode enabled="false"/>
        <HardwareVirtExLargePages enabled="true"/>
        <CpuIdTree>
          <CpuIdLeaf id="0" eax="4" ebx="1970169159" ecx="1818588270" edx="1231384169"/>
          <CpuIdLeaf id="1" eax="3907" ebx="133120" ecx="4227858431" edx="4294967295"/>
          <CpuIdLeaf id="2147483649" eax="0" ebx="0" ecx="4294967295" edx="4294967295"/>
        </CpuIdTree>
</CPU>
esalvesen
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Different

Post by esalvesen »

Code: Select all

<HardwareVirtExLargePages enabled="true"/>
<CpuIdTree>
<CpuIdLeaf id="0" eax="4" ebx="1970169159" ecx="1818588270" edx="1231384169"/>
<CpuIdLeaf id="1" eax="3907" ebx="133120" ecx="4227858431" edx="4294967295"/>
<CpuIdLeaf id="2147483649" eax="0" ebx="0" ecx="4294967295" edx="4294967295"/>
</CpuIdTree>
</CPU>
How do I write it in the Terminal.

Thank you for the infomation.

Erik
okiuss
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Post by okiuss »

Just tried it with another new VM ...

This time I used the following settings:
1) Standard macOS 32 bit template
2) 64M Video memory
3) 2 CPUs
4) VBoxManage modifyvm <YourVM> --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"

This time I had NOT to tweak other CPU settings.
The settings depend highly on your host CPU. When your virtual CPU is the wrong type,
you usually get a kernel panic at the beginning of the boot process.
But as said in my previous posting, sometimes you have just to restart (CMD-R) the vm a few times,
so that the machine finds its root device.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I'm really curious -- what do people need Tiger for in this day and age? Is it just for fun, or is there actually something that runs on Tiger but not Snow Leopard?
c.archibald
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7, Win10, OSX 10.4, OSX 10.6

Post by c.archibald »

Reason for getting a 10.4 VM running os for older software used for proprietary hardware from companies that no longer exist or that have never updated their software. I have a need to facilitate an older OS that runs older FCP, among others, to do media updating from OLD formats to newer ones that can be managed by the newer software we use. VLC, Handbrake, etc do not work 100% with these old medias that we are keeping archived.

I can not get 10.4.9 to install, it hangs at the same point every time. I tried older 10.4 discs/DMGs, but they were pre-Intel.
Attachments
VirtualBox-MacOSX10.4.9Tiger-Error.jpeg
VirtualBox-MacOSX10.4.9Tiger-Error.jpeg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sorry for being late to the discussion...

@okiuss
okiuss wrote:The present CPU settings are:
Please avoid setting the registers directly, that was the old way of doing things. The newer way is to set the "cpu-profile":
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-5600U"

These two should work fine. Just like you did in your followup! I'm simply not sure if it needs to go as low as the Xeon one:
okiuss wrote:4) VBoxManage modifyvm <YourVM> --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"
This time I had NOT to tweak other CPU settings.
c.archibald wrote:Reason for getting a 10.4 VM running os for older software used for proprietary hardware from companies that no longer exist
And 10.5, or even better 10.6 won't work? I'm asking this because the Intel 10.4 distribution was a very limited one, you had to have a specific Mac model to get it (I don't have it). The rest of the 10.4 distros that you find "in the wild" are mostly Hackintosh ones.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
c.archibald

Post by c.archibald »

socratis wrote:And 10.5, or even better 10.6 won't work? I'm asking this because the Intel 10.4 distribution was a very limited one, you had to have a specific Mac model to get it (I don't have it). The rest of the 10.4 distros that you find "in the wild" are mostly Hackintosh ones.
I have the grey 10.4.9 discs that came with a Mac Pro, so the Intel discs are not the issue, for me. I can't pull from the wild for my work anyways. My 10.6 VM isn't installing either & I have original discs for that as well. I did make DMGs from them & attached that to the VMs. I would like to try & set the CPU to a Xeon, or maybe even this Xeon in my machine, just to get it loaded & mod it later. My Mac Pro is running 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 3.5ghz.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

c.archibald wrote:I have the grey 10.4.9 discs that came with a Mac Pro
How much!?! I'm buying them! :)

Seriously, and I have no problem (moral or otherwise) saying this, I'd love to have a copy of those. I have a PowerMac that came with 10.4.2, but it was the PPC kind, and the installer was not universal. The next Mac that I got was a 10.6.2. The only reason that anyone would want this would be to run a VM. I find it unbelievably stupid from Apple's part to not provide complete installers for their previous versions; each and every version I mean. FWIW, you can still download Mac OS 9.1... :roll:

Again, if we could arrange it so that I can have a look at them (send me a PM), I wouldn't even have a problem notifying Apple Legal about it and take all the blame! :D

Otherwise I can't suggest anything in theory...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
c.archibald

Post by c.archibald »

socratis wrote:How much!?! I'm buying them! :)
If it was just that easy. They are not my property. I need to check them on an older Intel Mac to verify it installs. Problem is digging up an old machine & making time. ;\
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

c.archibald wrote:They are not my property.
Make a copy then! An exact replica, not a DMG, a "Master CD/DVD". And then you sell me that one! Or "rent" it to me for educational purposes! :D

But you still haven't answered one basic question: the programs that you want to run, won't run under 10.6?
c.archibald

Post by c.archibald »

socratis wrote:But you still haven't answered one basic question: the programs that you want to run, won't run under 10.6?
Pretty sure the printer/plotter drivers are limited to 10.4. Gonna have to check with Video to see what the conversion machines are hardware/software wise. For sure an old copy of FC Studio is part of it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

c.archibald wrote:Pretty sure the printer/plotter drivers are limited to 10.4
Ouch! If you're talking about USB printers/plotters, be aware that these are two of the most not-cooperating USB devices that you're going to run upon! The have a tendency to misbehave. I assume that there's no networking option on these, right?
c.archibald wrote:Gonna have to check with Video to see what the conversion machines are hardware/software wise
Not sure what "Video" refers to here...
c.archibald wrote:For sure an old copy of FC Studio is part of it.
If by FC you mean FinalCut, you may have big issues with that too. A virtual machine has a virtual/fake GPU, and FinalCut is rather peculiar regarding its taste in GPUs...
c.archibald

Post by c.archibald »

socratis wrote:Ouch! If you're talking about USB printers/plotters, be aware that these are two of the most not-cooperating USB devices that you're going to run upon! The have a tendency to misbehave. I assume that there's no networking option on these, right?
Yeah. We may have to still use real hardware. ;(
socratis wrote:Not sure what "Video" refers to here...
Our Video department.
socratis wrote:If by FC you mean FinalCut, you may have big issues with that too. A virtual machine has a virtual/fake GPU, and FinalCut is rather peculiar regarding its taste in GPUs...
That's what I'm worried about.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you give me an example of what you want to do? So far I've gotten some details that you want:
c.archibald wrote:to do media updating from OLD formats to newer ones that can be managed by the newer software we use
Maybe you're attacking this from the wrong angle? Maybe there's a newer/better/different workflow that can work with this? For example, since we're talking about media files, can you try (as a first test) MediaInfo and see what codecs we're dealing with? Then we can have a better understanding on what you want to do. Or you can simply divulge those details yourself... ;)

Because getting 10.4, on a Virtual Machine (something I don't have a hands-on experience), that's controlling real printers/plotters, and running FinalCut Pro on a fake GPU? It sounds to me like a really long shot...